Choice of plants

The place for plant tips and queries
johnd83

Choice of plants

Post by johnd83 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:35 pm

Good Evening all,

Next year on would like it add some new plants to my front garden. I ideally would like ones that reappear year on year with some nice colours and attract insects. Any advice would be great.

Jacksparrow

Re: Choice of plants

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:37 pm

johnd83 wrote:Good Evening all,

Next year on would like it add some new plants to my front garden. I ideally would like ones that reappear year on year with some nice colours and attract insects. Any advice would be great.
Lavender is good and any of the Daisy family. Stick as close as you can to native species as they are likeliest to attract the bees. Placido will probably have a few good suggestions as she is more of a plants person than myself.

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:42 am

Well, can't resist ....... :)

Jacksparrow's abso. spot on with lavender (bees adore it), and any daisy-type.
Bees & butts always go for herbs, some of which are quite decorative as well as tasty: rosemary and sage are both sure winners and don't mind being pruned hard.
If there's room then a buddleia shrub (my fave is a double white). Prune as hard as you can in late winter after the goldfinches have eaten the seeds and it will grow again very quickly and reward you with scented flowers which all and every insect can't resist.
Heathers (if you have acid soil) are easy and popular, and just for fun think about aquilegia (columbine) which seeds all over the garden and the colour-combinations change, and maybe foxglove.

johnd83

Post by johnd83 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:25 pm

I got have a purple buddleia in one of the corners and have for the past 3 years. Lovely scent to it and beautiful to look at.