Your Garden Hedgehogs

All of that essential hedgie chat about our favourite spiky friends
Jacksparrow

Re: Your Garden Hedgehogs

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:00 pm

I feel I have to bow to superior knowledge but it does seem a little early for Hogs to be drawing the bedroom curtains and settling down for a nice winter sleep. I haven't noticed mine were yawning. :shake: :hedgehog:

Biker

Post by Biker » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:04 am

Usual visitors still attending here. One large female, one medium male and two youngsters. All above the minimum weight so well set for settling down when they choose to. Increase in numbers being handed in at the wildlife hospital - mostly attacked by dogs, strimmered, young hogs that have lost their Mum, just sick (out in daylight suffering from mange or ringworm) or just covered in ticks.

Note please : Following very recent scientific research, wildlife hospitals have stopped providing mealworms to Hedgehogs as they have found a link with metabolic bone disease:

https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/t ... mealworms/

Many other articles are available. Search 'metabolic bone disease' for more info.

Seems okay as an occasional treat but not as a regular diet.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:48 am

Hi Bikey, yes I have read about mealworms and hedgehogs. My self I have switched to Calci worms. I grind them up and put them with the other food I supply. No doubt other rescue places are getting a lot more hedgehogs in, injured or otherwise.

Had three come in last night, looks like I will have to up the rations.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:00 pm

It is very bad news when you read that something you are doing in the hope of helping the wildlife turns out to be bad for them. :( I will have to search out some of the Hog bickies and see if I can wean them off the mealies. I want to avoid providing food for the local moggies and giving them an excuse to be in my garden. :cat: :shake:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:42 pm

Good news on the hedgehog front. MY very first 2018 juvenile. Only the one though, they usually turn up as a family but not this time. A good weight 390gr. Camera picked it up last night at around 03:30 am. But tonight it was by the front door After 8pm.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:47 pm

Willpar wrote:Good news on the hedgehog front. MY very first 2018 juvenile. Only the one though, they usually turn up as a family but not this time. A good weight 390gr. Camera picked it up last night at around 03:30 am. But tonight it was by the front door After 8pm.
It is one of my biggest wishes that a juvenile Hog arrives with one of the ones I've been feeding. I am mega jealous Willpar :nod:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:16 pm

Hang on Jacksparrow, there`s more. Looking at the video footage this morning, another came to feed at front door, that's makes two. Both dark, not quite seen them that dark before. Then gardencam showed two juveniles in the feeder at the same time. Now =4. Then two more separate clips of individuals coming to feeder, but could well be same two They are blonde ones. So a deffy four. And there was me thinking that this year may have drawn a blank. Extra rations to build them up.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:00 pm

One of the blonde juveniles. Weighed 470gr.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:32 pm

Juvenile from front door. 375gr

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:05 am

Wonderful, Willpar :yes: :yes: :yes:. Back on track :clap:.