WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
Butterfly

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by Butterfly » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:08 am

I saw a jay briefly, they don't hang around :)

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:42 pm

Butterfly wrote:I saw 2 doves chasing a magpie. I suspect that doves have a nest in nearby tree and are chasing a magpie away from it, but its so depressing to see that, because they can chase 1 magpie off but the next thing you know there is a bunch of them attacking :weep:
I watched those 2 parents grading their nest all the time, and every time I saw a magpie close by I shooed it off, and I could tell that the little ones are doing fine without seeing them because the parents were there all the time but calm and content :)

This morning, I was getting ready for my trip and put a lot of food out for the birds to last them for few days (hopefully) but there was not a single bird around, which was really strange :unsure:
As I was getting out of the house and getting into a cab I saw a sparrow hawk attacking one baby dove from that nest, on the ground :weep:
I shooed it off, the baby was flapping its wings and run into one garden taking cover, but I think it was injured :(
I asked someone to check and help if they can as I had to go. Sooooooooo upsetting to see that beautiful little baby dove being attacked like that, and after so much fight and care from the parents to see them grow :weep:

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:32 pm

For a split-second I thought it was a bird but quickly realised that it was some kind of hornet. Right above the kitchen window, very interested in the soffit. It kept coming back again and again until I was becoming quite alarmed.
Huge thing - against a grey sky so I couldn't see any colouration detail but it was almost an inch and a half long and appeared to be brown. Have checked google: might be a giant European hornet.
Hope it hasn't found a way into the loft.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:55 pm

Placido wrote:For a split-second I thought it was a bird but quickly realised that it was some kind of hornet. Right above the kitchen window, very interested in the soffit. It kept coming back again and again until I was becoming quite alarmed.
Huge thing - against a grey sky so I couldn't see any colouration detail but it was almost an inch and a half long and appeared to be brown. Have checked google: might be a giant European hornet.
Hope it hasn't found a way into the loft.
OMG :eek: Have you contacted Air Traffic Control at Birmingham Airport :)

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:46 am

They immediately diverted all air traffic :nod:so all potential collisions were averted.
(The Wee Glen is right beneath the flight path which is why the caves are so cheap.)

Seriously though, I can't get that encounter out of my head - it really scared me. Have never even imagined such a thing existed. Whatever it was I fervently hope it moved on.
S'pose the heatwave could be the cause - now it's turning colder these exotic thingies don't like it.
Seems right now an invasion of homes by harlequin ladybirds is happening which The Experts link to the hot weather.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:10 am

Had a nice little wren flitting about the hedge early this morning. First I have seen in a while, in my garden that is.

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:59 am

A wren !!! :clap:. Always a privilege to see one :nod:.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:02 am

I saw my robin with another robin like bird in the garden today. The other bird was about the same size, similar to robin, similar movements, but just no red chest. I was puzzled with it :scratch: . They were exploring all the plants and pots and even had a little scuffle :eek:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:08 pm

Butterfly wrote:I saw my robin with another robin like bird in the garden today. The other bird was about the same size, similar to robin, similar movements, but just no red chest. I was puzzled with it :scratch: . They were exploring all the plants and pots and even had a little scuffle :eek:
A juvenile probably. :nod:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:05 pm

Ah that would explain it :nod: . And since my robin firmly believes that he should be the only bird in the neighbourhood (saw him chasing a coal tit :smack: ) that explains the scuffle too, it makes sense :nod: