Roosting Boxes

All your bird talk in here
Butterfly

Roosting Boxes

Post by Butterfly » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:18 pm

I am quite keen to help birds during the coming winter in any way I can, and one would be providing them with a nice place to roost :)
I know I can use the ordinary nest box, but from what I read roosting box would be better, specially because I'd like to discourage them using in in the spring for nesting ( my garden is too small for that :( ) , but I can't find a box anywhere in UK :scratch:
They have lots of them in USA, but none deliver to UK (and it would be too expensive) , something like this:
https://www.duncraft.com/Duncraft-Conve ... oost-House
There are only roosting pouches to be found in UK , like this one : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gardman-Wild ... SwlN5albuP , but they don't look particularly safe to me :unsure:
Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any place to get a safe roosting box? Or if there is a nest box that have the front panel come out that can be turned upside down (if that makes sense) , or any other way to go about it.
Any help would be appreciated :)

Willpar

Re: Roosting Boxes

Post by Willpar » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:32 pm

Hi butterfly, have had a look around also, and for the UK it is mainly pouches. The American sites have a lot of roosting boxes. The pouches I reckon are quite strong, don't know how long they would last though. But you could go with a cheapo nest box. It don't matter that the hole is near the top, I would leave it like that. Have one under the porch, been there for several years now. Nothing has never nested in it. And out of the way of the weather.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:28 am

Thanks Willpar, I think I might do that, get a cheap one and maybe try and put a small toy ladder for them to perch :)
How come no birds ever nested in your nest box? :scratch:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:47 am

Hi Butterfly, probably because there is no cover near by. I have some youngish trees on the small plot, but not great cover. I see that the American roost boxes have perches in them. But I would be more inclined to put moss in the bottom and no perch. Moss will give insulation.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:22 am

Ah yes, I will put moss in the bottom :nod: . Maybe both? Do you think perches inside are not good idea and maybe a hazard? :scratch:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:29 pm

If like wrens they all like to snug up to each other for warmth, they wont be able to do that with perches.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:21 pm

You are right again Willpar, its better for birds to be able to snug up to each other, I just got worried about what they said on those US sites about the birds on the bottom being smothered. Does that happen with adult birds? I know it happens in the nests when they are really tiny, but I don't know if that can happen with adults too :unsure: . Or is that just a hard sale? :shrug:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:14 pm

Butterfly, I would say being smothered, is possibly rare. The birds are constantly on the move, so the one say in the centre(warmest) is not there all the time. At some stage it will be on the outside of the huddle. They all take it in turns be at the warmest part.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:05 am

I will get an ordinary nest box for my garden birds to roost during the winter when I get back from my trip :nod:
I might even get a camera, would be nice to see what they are up to :D . If any take residence that is :laugh:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:22 am

That would be great butterfly, a box and a camera.