Being away

All your bird talk in here
Butterfly

Being away

Post by Butterfly » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:55 pm

I am travelling at the end of the month, and will be away for 2 weeks. During that time there will be no one to top up the feeders and feed the birds :( . I assume it will be a shock to them to not have their eatery open for so long.
So I was wondering what would be the best thing to do:

*Feed them until I go away and let them empty the feeders after that

*Remove the feeders before I go

*Start reducing the food for a week or two before going away to get the used to it not being there

What are your opinions on that and what would you do? :)

Jacksparrow

Re: Being away

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:14 pm

Which ever you method you decide upon the birds will have to look elsewhere. Remember the food you supply is a supplement to their natural food and should not be regarded as the be all and end all for them. Go away and enjoy your holiday and rest assured that the birds will be OK and will return when they see normal service has been resumed.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:53 am

You are right Jacksparrow, they will have to look elsewhere during that time :) .I guess at this time there is plenty of food for them everywhere, its more important to try and help them during the cold winter months when the food is scarce. I was just trying to avoid being labelled unreliable bird station owner :laugh:

Biker

Post by Biker » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:54 am

Make up some fat blocks. Use lard as the base and add lots of bird feed goodies (good quality seed with mealworms/suet or similar). Start with your bird food mix. Melt a block of lard and pour it into trays with your chosen bird food mix. Allow to cool until solid. Cut up into feeder sized blocks and use a flat edged knife to secure into bowls or feeders. If you put enough of it out in bird tables, nut feeders etc, it will keep your birds using your garden for supplement feeds for a good couple of weeks.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:49 pm

Thank for that recipe Biker :) , I'll try that, and I will also leave quite a few half coconut suets around. Still, with the bunch of starlings feeding I expect that will be gone in no time :D