Feral Pigeons

All your bird talk in here
Placido

Re: Feral Pigeons

Post by Placido » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:28 pm

Taaa daaa - :D C'est moi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honest Placi (Siynriting) Inc. will be hapy to filful your rekwirements :roses:.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:05 pm

Placido wrote:Taaa daaa - :D C'est moi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honest Placi (Siynriting) Inc. will be hapy to filful your rekwirements :roses:.
How good is your pigeon english?

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:12 am

Oh haaahaaaaaaaaahaaaaa, very good, yes :rolleyes:.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:40 pm

It made me giggle to read about scary stick banging against the guttering and catch-rattling, I thought I'm the only one doing that :laugh:
They are a nuisance, I admit, and they don't seem to be very bright. But I might be totally wrong there since they are doing really well in surviving and adapting to any conditions. Their only saving grace is that they are not aggressive birds, they seem to get on with everyone, birds, humans, other animals ... they are fine with all other living beings, I do like that about them :) . Sure, they have a bit of a scuffle from time to time but thats usually just a bit of pushing and wing flapping on the tray, and thats that.
They definitely don't deserve the tag "flying rats" ! It might sound like a conspiracy theory, but I wouldn't put it past the pest control companies for spreading that idea. Yes, they can theoretically pass a certain virus to humans but when did that actually happen? We all know people who had food poisoning (or we had it ourselves) at some point, much more likely than virus passing by FP, but we don't avoid all food shops/eating places :shrug:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:24 pm

Don't get feral pigeons where I am, just wood pigeons With the ferals those that do get them from what I have read is that they hang on the feeders and the food gets spilled everywhere. Plus in towns and cities where there are huge flocks, it is their droppings that is the main concern. I think most towns and cities now adays it is against bylaws to feed them. In Plymouth for many years there was a trap on top of the dingles building. Those pigeons that were caught were despatched. Plus in the city centre no feeding was allowed.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:51 pm

I'm beginning to understand why the number of ferals arriving in the chateau grounds have increased substantially in recent years. They are being hounded out of the big towns and are looking for a quieter life elsewhere :(
Willpar has been informed correctly about them swinging on hanging feeders but most of the time they get very little food because it is so awkward for them. I have adopted a slightly more welcoming attitude but I do make sure they don't abuse my hospitality. :nod:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:34 pm

I have adopted more welcoming attitude too, I now leave a bawl with food for them on the ground, and they are quite happy to come, eat and go on their way leaving other birds and their food alone :) . I used to chase them and try and scare them off, but the more I did that the more determined they were to come and eat. This arrangement suits everyone :shrug:
Not many people post pictures of FPs but I just had to take this one and share it with you :D . This is a new FP hanging around and he/she is a very nice looking bird :nod:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:05 pm

A feral with a broken leg has decided my garden is a safe haven. It is a strong flyer but struggles terribly on the ground. Most of the time it will sit tight If I or one of the family approaches. I have made food more available by offering it's own private bowl though I'm not sure if is taking advantage. It flew away about 6.30 pm so we'll see if it appears again tomorrow.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:02 pm

Jacksparrow wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:05 pm
A feral with a broken leg has decided my garden is a safe haven. It is a strong flyer but struggles terribly on the ground. Most of the time it will sit tight If I or one of the family approaches. I have made food more available by offering it's own private bowl though I'm not sure if is taking advantage. It flew away about 6.30 pm so we'll see if it appears again tomorrow.
Aw nooo :( , poor sweetie. So nice of you to help him/her Jack :yes: . If you could, would you catch him and take him to wildlife hospital? Lets hope it doesn't become someone's lunch, as birds of pray target the weak :unsure:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:06 pm

A no-show by Walter Pigeon today. Either found a better billet or met it's maker I presume :shrug: