SONG THRUSH

All your bird talk in here
Placido

SONG THRUSH

Post by Placido » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:47 pm

Should have begun a new thread on this. (The first part is wasted on "What I Saw Today" but I didn't realise it would go on so long.)

It is a regular now - I think 4 times today I saw it. Once it watched a lone m. blackbird inside the ground feeding cage and then went in as well. Both birds fed quietly and flew off at separate times, no sign of aggression.
And yet, when it was on the ground a m. blackbird immediately bombed it and away it went.

Funny that :shrug:.

Jacksparrow

Re: SONG THRUSH

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:42 pm

Placido wrote:Should have begun a new thread on this. (The first part is wasted on "What I Saw Today" but I didn't realise it would go on so long.)

It is a regular now - I think 4 times today I saw it. Once it watched a lone m. blackbird inside the ground feeding cage and then went in as well. Both birds fed quietly and flew off at separate times, no sign of aggression.
And yet, when it was on the ground a m. blackbird immediately bombed it and away it went.

Funny that :shrug:.
Blackbirds will be aggressive if it thinks another bird is in it's territory but the inside of your cage does not seem to fit that remit. Long may harmony prevail :fence: :shake:

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:50 pm

Cage fighting! :eek: Hope not :)

Placido

Post by Placido » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:24 pm

:D No, t'cage seems to be The Peaceful Zone.

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:44 pm

To underline the above, today a blackbird was chasing everything away from the cage. You know how blackbirds will take it into their heads to suddenly lay claim to all the food :).
The song thrush was alone, inside the cage, not eating just sort of calmly observing the mayhem outside.
There really does seem to be an unspoken rule that the cage is off limits to uncalled for rage and unseemly violence.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:42 pm

That's good, Placi :D :yes: :blackbird:

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:14 am

Have reported previously that the ground feeding cage seems to be a DMZ 'twixt the song thrush and blackbirds but toady crowned everything !!
S/thrush inside taking a leisurely breakfast and a blackbird waited quietly outside allowing it to finish :faint:. No such politeness is extended when it is in the garden - fair game then :shrug:.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:56 pm

:D Best behaviour at your place, Placi :nod:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:57 pm

My ground feeding cage is unused at present. All this talk of attracting a Thrush and the Blackbirds behaving nicely makes me think it is time to dust it of for the coming spring. :)

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:34 am

Do it, do it now !! Cold weather, hungry birds - song thrush guaranteed :bird2:. It would fit nicely into the corner of the chateau's rolling acres just between the ski slope and the helipad :).