WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
nuthatch

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by nuthatch » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:26 pm

greenfinch2 wrote:my feeding is the same but got a big bag of sunflower seeds so now have plenty for 2 feeders and the goldfinches are in there dozens and Greenfinches have returned and all seem healthy ,sturks are less at the moment and very few Blackbirds plenty apples out but few takers . :wave2:

Dozens of goldfinches and healthy greenfinches?!! :rara:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:43 pm

You're doing a grand job up in the frozen north Greenfinch :clap: . I wish I could match your "dozens" of Goldfinches :nod: .

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:15 pm

Still plenty goldie and greenfinch and all are healthy I hope they stay until the bird count I think thats next weekend if you are doing it. :wave2:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:42 pm

Not a great video as i was too far away. And if i tried to get closer they may have flown off.

This is the most little egrets i have ever seen in one place. I counted 8 of them. were in a farmers field. Pity the trees were in the way.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:32 pm

:D :bunny:

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:07 pm

Very good willpar.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:07 pm

Amazing willpar. A few years ago the lanes would have been jammed with twitchers to catch a view of those and now they're as common as Sturks :)

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:00 pm

Have launched a war against feral pigeons and am putting ground food only inside the ground feeder to thwart them - it's working.
Today there was a big surprise: a couple of ferals were circling the cage attempting without success to get at the food when a song thrush suddenly appeared on the fence, hopped straight down and entered the cage with no fuss at all. Had it's food and flew off perfectly calmly :D.

This trick baffles many a blackbird except for the few smart ones but to the thrush - no prob !!! :clap:

A classic example of unintended consequences :nod:.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:54 pm

Placido wrote:Have launched a war against feral pigeons and am putting ground food only inside the ground feeder to thwart them - it's working.
Today there was a big surprise: a couple of ferals were circling the cage attempting without success to get at the food when a song thrush suddenly appeared on the fence, hopped straight down and entered the cage with no fuss at all. Had it's food and flew off perfectly calmly :D.

This trick baffles many a blackbird except for the few smart ones but to the thrush - no prob !!! :clap:

A classic example of unintended consequences :nod:.
Hurrah for the Thrush :woohoo:

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:09 am

It came again yestoady and did the same thing: straight inside the cage without ruffling a single feather, enjoyed its meal, exited without fuss and away it went :).
Some blackbirds :dunce:are still bouncing around outside the cage and can't seem to twig the secret :shrug:.

Clever song thrush :).