Feral Pigeons

All your bird talk in here
Placido

Re: Feral Pigeons

Post by Placido » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:14 pm

I feel your pain, Jacksparrow :weep:. I'm certain they learn from each other - and there's almost always a sentinel in the manner of sturkies. Very clever birds.

IDEA: Read 'em The Saga of Anna's Envelope - that will surely scare 'em away. I know it has that effect on moi :rolleyes: :dogrun: :bolt: !!

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:43 pm

I am currently waging a silent war on the ferals. It is their habit to rock up mob handed about 8.30 am to hoover up any dropped seed from the feeders. As I have previously stated a few of them try to get seed directly from the feeders and in doing so prevent the smaller birds getting their breakfast. It goes something like this:-
8.30 approx they arrive
8.31 the first one gets onto the hanging feeder
8.31 and a bit I scare them off by rattling the catch on my patio door
8.34 they return.......
and so it goes on. After the initial arrival a few drift off after each scare leaving me with a determined gang of 8 or so who keep returning ad nauseum.
Eventually even they get fed up a fly off in search of greener pastures. It is usually getting near 10 am by then :(
12.30 The whole cycle starts again........... :(

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:51 am

Not just me then, the catch-rattling.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:29 pm

Placido wrote:Not just me then, the catch-rattling.
:shake: :wife:

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:50 am

Try the garden hose they dont like it at the time they always come back later :shrug:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:49 pm

greenfinch2 wrote:Try the garden hose they dont like it at the time they always come back later :shrug:
They may not be the cleverest birds but I'd never manage to surprise them with a hose but good luck with yours. :)

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:44 pm

My pesky ferals were very determined today. I lost count of the number of time I frightened them off only for them to fly round in a big circular course and return to the chateau roof. From their lofty viewpoint they sit looking down waiting for me to disappear indoors when they can return to their pillaging banghead .

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:35 am

They're very bold, aren't they ?!?!?! When I can be bothered I sneak outside and bang the scary stick against the guttering (bungalow) - they fly off and return in a matter of minutes banghead.
I theorise that they're used to humans because they hail from the town centre where they hardly bother to move out of the way, so one 'shoo shoo' doesn't impinge too much :(.

A cause of constant irritation 'cos you can never win.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:30 pm

My ferals came close to driving me to distraction today banghead . It seems no amount of shooing off by myself was enough to deter them :sadbanana: . My problem is that I give them free reign to feed off the ground and only chase them off when one or more get on the hanging feeders. They can't seem to grasp that the hanging feeders are out of bounds. I have looked on the interweb and no-one(it seems) are making signs that pigeons can read and understand :shrug: There is a fortune waiting for the first person with that business. :nod:

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:09 am

:rofl:

:( :hug2: