BIRD FEEDING

All your bird talk in here
greenfinch2

Re: BIRD FEEDING

Post by greenfinch2 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:40 am

The Sturks have started to gather on the roof tops at teatime I still have a very quiet garden and feeders .

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:52 pm

The last few days have seen a big upturn in birds looking for food as is to be expected but one particular item has outshone all the others for popularity. That is fresh water. They have been queueing up to get at it both to drink and bathe(brrrrrrrrr)

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:45 pm

I liked your apples which attracted the redwings, Jacksparrow. Surely they count as a drink.
I forgot about apples - MEMO: buy apples and soften 'em up. Photograph hordes of redwings.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:09 pm

Placido wrote:I liked your apples which attracted the redwings, Jacksparrow. Surely they count as a drink.
I forgot about apples - MEMO: buy apples and soften 'em up. Photograph hordes of redwings.
I'd forgotten to get some apples to soften up too. The birds had to make do with the cheapest Lidl would sell me and a little on the firm side :nod:

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:35 pm

Marks & Sparks' Christmas cake goes down a storm with any feathered thing you care to mention.
Can't wait to try 'em with the Christmas pudding from the same source .......

Santa got something right.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:42 pm

Placido wrote:Marks & Sparks' Christmas cake goes down a storm with any feathered thing you care to mention.
Can't wait to try 'em with the Christmas pudding from the same source .......

Santa got something right.
I have no doubt my birds would be similarly impressed should they get the opportunity. No sweetmeats of any derivation find their way to my bird table unless they are very very very stale indeed :shake: . 4 days after Chrimbo is much too soon. :nod:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:12 pm

Unsurprisingly my birds have been knocking back the food since the start of this cold spell while I have been kept busy providing them with the opportunity. One of my priorities has been keeping a supply of unfrozen water for them to drink. Today, the coldest so far, the demand for water was as high as ever but not as you might expect for drinking but bathing. With temperatures hovering around 2 degrees centigrade the last thing I would have thought necessary was giving one's feathers a good wetting. :shake:

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:58 am

I confess I buy 'mixed seed' regularly but randomly on ebay (free postage) so you get what you pay for.
However, for about the last maybe 4 months I've noticed a proliferation of what I take to be wheat seeds in the mix, from whichever source, and these are not adored by anything other than woodies and the dreaded ferals.
So I sought google's advice and have found "wheat and barley free" bird seed.
I feel both remiss and ashamed :(.

Have ordered 3 kg and we'll see.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:22 pm

I use a mixed seed too which is almost cereal free. It contains a small amount of barley which hardly anything wants to eat not even the ferals unless they are desperately hungry. :(
Most of the mixed seed suppliers take the opportunity to bulk out their mixes with something cheaper than the stuff the birds really like.

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:02 am

I feel that I should have known that :unsure: :(.
But I'm sure that in quite the recent past there wasn't such a large % of this stuff.
We'll see .......