Rats, I've got a rat

All the other creepy crawlies and animals that interact with your garden and the countryside
Jacksparrow

Re: Rats, I've got a rat

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:17 pm

After a few rat free years I have discovered one has been in my garage very recently. :( Evidence:- CCs and my fat ball stock has been nibbled :(

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:35 am

Has the thing managed to nibble through a steel container to access the suet balls ? Or are they laid out in an enticing and encouraging display ?
Just askin' ....... :rolleyes:

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:27 pm

In a bucket I dont like RATS. :wave2:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:51 pm

Placido wrote:Has the thing managed to nibble through a steel container to access the suet balls ? Or are they laid out in an enticing and encouraging display ?
Just askin' ....... :rolleyes:
Due to an oversight by the management team that organises the bird feeding arrangement the said balls were left where a visiting rat could easily locate them. I have had a stern word with the individual involved and he has assured me it won't be repeated. As he is loyal, dependable and an all round good egg I have decided on this occasion to take no further action. Too soft hearted some would say but I think on this occasion he has learned his lesson. :nod: :thumbsup:

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:13 am

Aaahhaaahh - having forensically dissected Jacksparrow's Agatha Christie-like response to my well-aimed accusation, I conclude that he is speaking in the third person of himself :nod:.
Oooooh yes, it is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You completely deserve your little furry visitor whose expectations you have heightened, albeit accidentally. In Nature's name, shurely you must now take it under your protection and care for, nurture and play with it when it gets bored. Otherwise you'll destroy its trust in human nature and worse still, give it a complex :eek:.
Some folk like Rattus as pets and you can expect as a reward lots and lots more happy Rattusii 'cos they are very (VERY) social animals.
Madame la chatelaine du Le Chateau will be etre aux anges ( :P ) avec joie, innit.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:19 pm

Placido wrote:Aaahhaaahh - having forensically dissected Jacksparrow's Agatha Christie-like response to my well-aimed accusation, I conclude that he is speaking in the third person of himself :nod:.
Oooooh yes, it is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You completely deserve your little furry visitor whose expectations you have heightened, albeit accidentally. In Nature's name, shurely you must now take it under your protection and care for, nurture and play with it when it gets bored. Otherwise you'll destroy its trust in human nature and worse still, give it a complex :eek:.
Some folk like Rattus as pets and you can expect as a reward lots and lots more happy Rattusii 'cos they are very (VERY) social animals.
Madame la chatelaine du Le Chateau will be etre aux anges ( :P ) avec joie, innit.
Funnily enough the staff were very keen to adopt the Rattus and offer it a cosy billet for the forthcoming winter but Madame la chatelaine du Le Chateau felt we had more than enough mouths to feed already and vetoed the idea. Further more the Staff have been warned that any repeat of the accidental feeding could result in disciplinary action :smack:

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:52 pm

:wife: Quite rite too. Sensible lady, la madame du etc etc :clap:. New staff should be hired forthwith.

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:21 pm

Disregarding the above utter rubbish, incorrect advice and sugary homilies, Shock and Quelle Horreur today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :faint: :jawdrop: ..... I've got one :weep: :weep: :weep:

It was tucking into freshly put out elevensies inside the cage feeder. Tottered forth, grabbed scary stick and it shot away into the shrubbery. Went onto 24-hour Red Alert footing and spotted it again - same venue, same freeloading - about 2 hours later.

Have never, ever had this previously and immediately called a COBRA crisis meeting.
Consensus: feed smaller quantity at any one time so that birds eat it all at once.
More treks to the feeding station but hopefully fewer rodent sightings.

Must get back to Sniper Nest No. 1 ......... :magnify: :doh:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:20 pm

I can but sympathise with your predicament. Rats can be very persistent once a source of food has been identified and unfortunately most of the activity is during the hours of darkness when watching what is going on is near impossible. Do any of your neighbours have a Moggy which might be asked to do the night watch or are they all curled up on a nice warm sofa until spring finally arrives? :cat: :bolt: :mouse:

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:41 pm

Its a while since I had a visitor ,but I stopped ground feeders ,for a while I think it helped a little they are horrible sods .