WHAT'S GROWING IN YOUR GARDEN ??

Tips, tricks, problems and solutions for the gardeners out there
Jacksparrow

Re: WHAT'S GROWING IN YOUR GARDEN ??

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed May 24, 2017 8:49 pm

My Rowan is performing it annual trick of attracting lots of bees :) . The downside is the aroma it puts out. :shake:

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu May 25, 2017 10:38 am

Insects just love the rowan - the hawthorn perfume is drowning everything else out. Seems particularly strong this year :)

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun May 28, 2017 7:36 pm

Couple of hawkweeds in flower and lotsa buds :yes:. I could wish for a happier name - it's not a 'weed'. :(
In fact, come to think of it, nothing's a weed, it just needs moving.

Just checked this in my old granddad's massive dictionary (circa Caxton) - WEED: any plant which is troublesome or useless. Bless .......
Anglo-Saxon - weod. So they've been around for a while then.

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:18 pm

Rowan 001.JPG
Rowan 002.JPG
Taking advantage of the luncheon interval at Lords, here is my rowan which thinks it's October :shrug: ...
Maybe it's the dry weather ??

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:20 pm

My Rowan is not reacting the same to the dry weather. It has been shedding green leaves and the berry count is dropping on a daily basis. :(

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:05 pm

I will have to check my one closely its not like Placi one .

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:22 pm

Contrary to my usual policy, I have toady sprayed some wild flowers - that is, weeds :eek:.
I don't like doing that but I plead extenuating circumstances, to wit and viz.:

about 2 months ago our small gulag experienced a power cut which lasted all night, came on at 6 am and went off again for the whole of the following night. Much excitement !! Electrical power company vans (17 at the last count) and crews to match.
So, as it happens right next to the wee cave is the dedicated little power sub-station. The Men in the end decided to dig down three feet inside the sub-station fence to change a spark plug or something. Well, when you dig an extremely large hole the soil has to go somewhere, and it went on my lawn :rolleyes:.
All was returned to its former condition and the vans sped off. Job done.
So, I find myself with a rich assortment of thistles, creeping thingies, dandies, u-name-it which have erupted for the second time down a channel of bare ground about 6 inches wide 'twixt lawn and electric fence (!).
A little research led me to the long-term solution and the nub and the gist of this tale is that I have sprayed again and then sown the channel with ordinary salt :nod:.
I await the outcome ....... and the morale of this story is that you never know what you might be starting when you dig a hole.
Who should I sue ??

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:18 pm

Placido wrote:Contrary to my usual policy, I have toady sprayed some wild flowers - that is, weeds :eek:.
I don't like doing that but I plead extenuating circumstances, to wit and viz.:

about 2 months ago our small gulag experienced a power cut which lasted all night, came on at 6 am and went off again for the whole of the following night. Much excitement !! Electrical power company vans (17 at the last count) and crews to match.
So, as it happens right next to the wee cave is the dedicated little power sub-station. The Men in the end decided to dig down three feet inside the sub-station fence to change a spark plug or something. Well, when you dig an extremely large hole the soil has to go somewhere, and it went on my lawn :rolleyes:.
All was returned to its former condition and the vans sped off. Job done.
So, I find myself with a rich assortment of thistles, creeping thingies, dandies, u-name-it which have erupted for the second time down a channel of bare ground about 6 inches wide 'twixt lawn and electric fence (!).
A little research led me to the long-term solution and the nub and the gist of this tale is that I have sprayed again and then sown the channel with ordinary salt :nod:.
I await the outcome ....... and the morale of this story is that you never know what you might be starting when you dig a hole.
Who should I sue ??
Sounds like a case for Messrs. Boyle Degg solicitors to the Stars. Tell them I sent you. :)

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:40 am

This is amazing - I had left a little strip of weeds (sorry, wild flowers :rolleyes:) unsalted but squirted with weedkiller as a control to check whether there was any discernible diffy.
Upon arising toady I checked and lo !! we have drooping plants all along the row except the unsalted ones :D. Very pleased with the overnight success.
Anyone want 2.5 kgs of cooking salt, Forum rates ?? :(.

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:29 pm

Keep it for icey door steps I dont think you will have to keep it long . :wave2: