Dunnock

All your bird talk in here
Placido

Re: Dunnock

Post by Placido » Sun May 21, 2017 7:31 pm

Parent dunnock today training 2 babies. Into the ground feeding cage, select a tasty, hop out again, feed youngster and wait for copy.
Nothing.
Parent repeated formula - nothing.
On and on.

Babies obviously cuter than parent. Why bother when the food comes anyway.

Mum/dad might have had more success had it stayed inside the cage and scoffed the food.
They would have followed double-quick then !!

Great to see :D

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun May 21, 2017 7:38 pm

I'm always amazed at the learning curve for some species of bird when they fledge. Most waterbird are feeding themselves almost from the moment they hatch while birds of prey are seemingly fed by the parents for months.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Sun May 21, 2017 7:46 pm

:D :bird2: :goodvibes: :bird2: :laugh:

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:19 am

The dunnock couple had their new babies out yesterday, for Training In How To Acquire A Suntan. Very receptive class, quick on the uptake :sun: :sunny:.
I'm sure they live in the pyrawotsit next to where the cherry used to be and where, since its removal in January, nothing grows, not even a weed. The earth is now 75% chipped cherry wood and seemed to me to be a perfect gap for a bird bath. Duly found an online bargain :devil:and earmarked toady for the levelling of said space so that the bb doesn't tilt.
But now I'm wondering whether this should be postponed in favour of the dunnock family lessons or, worst prospect of all, the abandonment of their territory :eek: :unsure:due to me fooling around in very close proximity.
Trouble is, you can't explain things to dunnocks ........

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:38 pm

Placido wrote:The dunnock couple had their new babies out yesterday, for Training In How To Acquire A Suntan. Very receptive class, quick on the uptake :sun: :sunny:.
I'm sure they live in the pyrawotsit next to where the cherry used to be and where, since its removal in January, nothing grows, not even a weed. The earth is now 75% chipped cherry wood and seemed to me to be a perfect gap for a bird bath. Duly found an online bargain :devil:and earmarked toady for the levelling of said space so that the bb doesn't tilt.
But now I'm wondering whether this should be postponed in favour of the dunnock family lessons or, worst prospect of all, the abandonment of their territory :eek: :unsure:due to me fooling around in very close proximity.
Trouble is, you can't explain things to dunnocks ........
Don't worry about the Dunnocks as they will make their own arrangements with or without your compliance. The BB will be a welcome addition to your facilities and I'm sure your visitors will find it very agreeable. :nod:

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:19 pm

Good place for a bird bath the b irds will love it .

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:57 am

Brekkers was 41 seconds late this morning :smack: - upon my tardy appearance (in the rain) down came Rexit for his special individual suet pellets, followed by not one but two (2) dunnocks. Within a foot of me I fed three (3) little birds :faint: .
Can't believe the dunnocks are picking up a robin's friendly, trusting nature.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:26 am

My dunnocks dive into the hedge when they see me. Cant get anywhere near a robin.

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:10 am

Given an exceptionally successful breeding season due to the affectionate nature of my resident menage a trois :rolleyes:, I am hosting a dunnock colony in the pyrawotsit detailed ad nauseum above.
Toady, in the pouring rain, one of the young(ish) spinoffs from said affectionate nature was sitting forlornly on top of the feeding cage waiting for some action. Out I went and s/he just stayed there until I was just a couple of feet away :clap:; dispensed nourishing breakfast and remained to see what would happen - s/he popped out from the pyra... and enjoyed the fortifying meal, with me thrilled but soaked.
Worth every raindrop !
Just shows how their behaviour alters when emergencies dictate.

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat May 23, 2020 5:14 pm

This could be read in conjunction with the immediately preceding post (or not if you don't want to :shrug:) but aaaanyway, whilst still awaiting the arrival of my first baby sparrow, this morning were unveiled two baby dunnocks ! A parent was in close attendance, very proud and happy. Obviously saying, "Look what we've got !!!"
That pyrawotsit is still being put to full use :rolleyes: