BRAMBLES

For everything nature based that doesn't fit anywhere else!
Jacksparrow

BRAMBLES

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:34 pm

I have had a bramble at the rear of my property ever since I've lived here(29 years and counting). I've always accepted that it was my duty to keep it under control and to that end have pruned it right back every autumn. My reward was a crop of very tasty Blackberries :goodvibes: Last autumn,however, some workmen turned up to get rid of the Ivy on the lock-up garages immediately behind my back fence. Not only did they deal with the ivy but took it upon themselves to take the brambles down to ground level too. :( I feared the worst but I'd under-estimated the brambles will to re-establish it's presence. This year it has grown with a vigour I've never before witnessed :eek: saddling me with the problem of keeping it withing bounds. My reward for all the extra work was not a single berry. Nor did it produce any blossom(always a favourite with the Bees) :shrug:
Isn't nature wonderful!

Placido

Re: BRAMBLES

Post by Placido » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:49 pm

What a fascinating yet tragic tale :weep:.

Ahem :rolleyes: ~ brambles flower and fruit on SECOND-year growth so you might wish to invest in a small but informative booklet entitled, "What to do with a million tons of berries". Wow, will you be busy this time next year.

Do A deal and we can all have bramble-flavoured HB (now there's a novelty) :clap:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:59 pm

It is my intention to prune it back a per usual later this year but not a drastically as last year. Hold fire on the Bramble HB plans until fruiting time next August.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:21 pm

During a lockdown walk today we noticed the quite a few of the brambles were blossoming again :shrug: There are very few leaves on the bushes so the blossom looks very odd. :)