BTO GARDEN BIRDWATCH

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

BTO GARDEN BIRDWATCH

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:10 pm

In the past I have mentioned that I am a member of the above. In brief what we do is supply an on-line report every week of the birds seen in the garden plus a range of other wildlife. In normal times the subscription is £17 per year which entitles you to take part and also receive a quarterly magazine(called Birdtable). In these troubles times the BTO has decided to let people who are interested sat at home bored a years membership for FREE. You won't get the usual joining freebees nor the magazine. If anyone fancies a go read all about it on the link below:-
https://www.bto.org/our-science/project ... CRA4GL%2C1

Placido

Re: BTO GARDEN BIRDWATCH

Post by Placido » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:41 pm

This offer is quite an open-handed gesture by the BTO and I applaud it.
However, following your highlighting, Jacksparrow, I've done a bit of firkling into the aims and purpose of the organisation.
OK, it collects data supplied by members all over and said data is available from the BTO to folk with an interest. Fair enuf.
But to what end purpose ? I mean, what good comes from the accumulation of data - from the state of birds in the UK right now what has been achieved ? What shining successes have been accomplished ?
And how does the BTO exist in more or less the same space as the RSPB ?

Just askin' ........

Jacksparrow

Re: BTO GARDEN BIRDWATCH

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:36 pm

As you have correctly identified the BTO collect data and employ scientists to try and make sense of why some birds are flourishing while others are in decline. The RSPB are more interested in providing habitat for birds in trouble as are the WWT(Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust). Also the BTO are investigating where our migrant birds when not in the UK. The cuckoo tracking was and is still one of their initiatives and there are other birds such as Swifts and House Martins. The aim being to see where they go missing on their migration routes and see if there is a solution.
The Garden Watch data is absolutely unique in providing a week on week data from across the whole country, so much so that other groups into Butterflies,Insects , Amphibians have asked for reports on sightings too.
Although there may be some crossovers in data collected by other organisations the BTO is the go to organisation to fill the gaps.
They are a relatively small organisation but that does not diminish their importance in the grand scheme of bird welfare.