New Feeder

All your bird talk in here
Willpar

New Feeder

Post by Willpar » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:31 am

Bought a new feeder and put it up yesterday. Was darn heavy, so got my neighbour to give me a hand. Had to drill some holes in the base, and bolt a fence post base on it. Then we just slipped it over the post.

The base is around 17 inches square and was the biggest they sell. Also there is another feeder in the roof for smaller birds. Be interesting now to see what birds use it. Not seen any yet. Is more than six feet in the air, but that's good as I can walk under it.

Butterfly

Re: New Feeder

Post by Butterfly » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:08 pm

That is a really nice and big feeder Willpar :yes: , I was thinking of getting one of those and replacing 4 hanging trays that I have. Where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking? :)

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:37 pm

Hi Butterfly, I got it from Riverside Woodcraft. Did not buy the base/stand as I already had one. Well built but expensive.

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:38 pm

That's a beast, Willpar !! No wonder it took two.
The tray on top of the roof is a very good idea - everyine gets a chance. Surprised the blueys haven't been; they're usually first to investigate !

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:50 pm

Hi Placi, a robin had a good look but decided to go into the small feeder by the hedge. There were sparrows on the hedge today looking at it and a dunnock. Even the starlings noticed it as he birds can see the food in it from the hedge. But no takers today that I could see. Plus it is not swinging about like the two hanging feeders. The birds hopefully will appreciate the stability.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:46 pm

New feeder, especially large ones are always the subjects of much interest equally matched by suspicion. I expect it will take a few days before it is accepted. :nod: