MAGPIES

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Re: MAGPIES

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:24 pm

Placido wrote:A magpie yesterday with 2 teenagers. They were hoovering up the remnants of lunch feed around the feeder cage. One of the youngsters was acting just as a baby sparrow, ie. beak open, wings fluttering rapidly, and the adult was feeding it, although it seemed big enough to fend for itself.
Thing was, the sight of rapidly fluttering magpie wings is a sight to behold, and I've never witnessed this behaviour previously.
Created quite a breeze.
What a treat. I can't recall seeing a juvenile magpie let alone one being fed by it's parent. :)

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:30 am

They've been again this morning :unsure:. Not sure that they've decided to adopt this wondrous playground as their own .......
(They like water.)

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:42 pm

Placido wrote:They've been again this morning :unsure:. Not sure that they've decided to adopt this wondrous playground as their own .......
(They like water.)
The only drawback is that most of the other garden birds are very wary of Magpies as their reputation as nest robbers is well deserved. I know there are very few(if any) nests at present but they are still not likely to be welcomed with open wings.

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:46 am

My worry, Jacksparrow. Don't want them too accustomed to this.

Checked laying dates of UK magpies yesterday: April - June seems normal so this is very puzzling.

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:09 pm

The above-mentioned young magpies are still around. They operate as a team :unsure:.
The ground feeder cage had them foxed some time ago and they don't bother now; however, today just goes to show how alert they are.

In error, I had given too much afternoon feed yesterday and some evidently remained overnight. This morning 'my' overfed, spoiled, nice-beaked little scroun... darlings wouldn't touch it. I put new breakfast on top, they ate that and left the old stuff :shrug:.
Crafty, thought I: move the cage and the ferals will happen along and clear up. Did so and was scarcely in the house when down came the magpie duo and scoffed the lot at lightning speed.
They've obviously got Airstrip One under close surveillance. Scary ....... :rolleyes: :(

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:09 am

The 2 maggies documented above remain a more-or-less fixture. They just firkle around the vast estate doing magpie things and don't become a nuisance.
One of them, I have noticed for the first time, is asymmetric. :rolleyes:. Magpies usually have a black stripe halfway up the white wing and said stripe is usually the same on either wing. Well, this is not the case - one has one wing with the usual black stripe but 'tother wing is completely white, which actually is quite pleasing in an odd sort of way. Unusual :nod:.
Maybe on hands-on inspection there lurks a stripe beneath but I haven't looked.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:39 pm

There are two sometimes on the roofs here placi. Waiting for the wagtails mealworms. Once I go in down they come.

Placido

Post by Placido » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:20 pm

Willpar, my two haven't reached the 'down they come' stage and I don't intend them to.
Must confess, I'm not a fan of magpies - the Springtime scales weigh heavily against them, I'm afraid :(.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:01 pm

A nice colourful bird placi. But that is where it ends with me. That's why I don't throw out too many mealworms. Years ago I seen a magpie in the lanes with a bird in its beak.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:38 pm

It is not all good news for the Magpies. I read,over the weekend, that their place in the pecking order is being usurped by Jackdaws. Jackdaws are somewhat bolder than their piebald relations but I don't think their manners are any better.