MAGPIES

All your bird talk in here
nuthatch

MAGPIES

Post by nuthatch » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:56 pm

Yesterday I thought these magpies had a nest up there with chicks in one of nextdoor's chimney pots :laugh: bit late (post deleted) but now I think they may just be hanging out up there - sorting out their stash of Christmas tree baubles or something. They have been coming and going to the same pot - the shorter one - every day for about a week and I've seen one or two on the fence or in the garden every day.

Biker

Re: MAGPIES

Post by Biker » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:24 pm

Sad to report that one of my Magpies was ambushed this morning. It's neck was broken and I suspect 'black cat'. There was clearly a bit of a scuffle and Maggie may well have given black cat something to remember him by as the bird was left in the middle of the lawn and black cat has not made an appearance today whilst I have been around. Very sad, as this is one of three regular visitors (two turn up as a pair and this one is usually on his own). He had become quite a common sight over the last couple of months and his antics have kept Mrs Biker and myself entertained. RIP Maggie. We will miss you. :( :(

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:49 pm

I am a little surprised that a cat would take on a Magpie. If it did it may well be short of an eye now as the struggling magpie would have no hesitation in going for them. :(

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:52 pm

Loss of any bird is a great pity, Bikey. As Jacksparrow says though, fair do's to a cat willing to take on a magpie.

Biker

Post by Biker » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:07 pm

Agree entirely Jacksparra and placi. You can imagine my shock at finding this bird. Have seen Maggies 'seeing off' a cat. Have 'traced' the feather trail to beneath the 'Red Robin'. Can only imagine that the Maggie was caught by surprise. If ' black cat' ever bothers to return (one eye or not), he/she has now declared war and can expect less hiding places, more thorny ground and lots of water bombs!!!!

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:10 am

Sorry to heard about
:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:
:flower: Maggie :flower: :flower:
:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

:bike:

Biker

Post by Biker » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:39 pm

Ta nuthatch. Really nice. :blackbird:

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:48 am

Two magpies are back at the chimney pots, one dipping its head :blackbird: in and out of the tallest one :blackbird:

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:25 pm

No, no, folks, don't ........
Step away, just step away :shake: :rolleyes:

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:25 am

A magpie yesterday with 2 teenagers. They were hoovering up the remnants of lunch feed around the feeder cage. One of the youngsters was acting just as a baby sparrow, ie. beak open, wings fluttering rapidly, and the adult was feeding it, although it seemed big enough to fend for itself.
Thing was, the sight of rapidly fluttering magpie wings is a sight to behold, and I've never witnessed this behaviour previously.
Created quite a breeze.