SPARROWHAWK

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Re: SPARROWHAWK

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:15 pm

I know exactly what you mean Biker. Over the years my Sprawk has flown very close to me. Once it flew between myself and the feeder I was trying to refill which fair took my breath away. They(Sprawks) have astonishing accuracy when flying very fast. Although the predation is not welcome you have to admire a great bird. :)

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:08 pm

I agree. A sprawk is such a charismatic bird, so mysterious. Always feel I should whisper when I see one, as though one is being privileged to see something rare and unknown (which I s'pose is true).

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:07 pm

It just materialised from stage left and landed on the lowest silver birch branch (Rambo's fave) which is very adjacent to the pyrawotsit which is everyone's safe haven. It sort of jumped onto the top of the pyra and then dropped down inside. I was sure Rambo (and possibly others) would be in there so I - yes, I know I shouldn't - went outside :shrug: . The sprawk immediately flew off >>>>>

15 mins later all the usual, including Rambo, were back.
Long time since I've seen a sprawk.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:41 am

I think I would have done the same, Placi :(

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:48 pm

Well saved maybe they are lovely birds ,but a bit of a menace. :devil: :wave2:

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:52 pm

You can't win, can you ?? Irresolvable dilemma. It's wrong to intervene but I'm an incurable anthropomorphic and anyway Rambo is my new Best Mate :goodevil:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:56 pm

I haven't had a sighting of my Sprawk for several months now. Although he has been absent for a couple of weeks in the past this is the longest without any sight of him. Good for the remainder of my birds but it's a shame if he's met his end. :(

greg

Post by greg » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:24 am

Our Sparrowhawk turned up this morning. He was climbing through the tangle of Clematis vines; I wonder what he was up to? :unsure:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:32 pm

greg wrote:Our Sparrowhawk turned up this morning. He was climbing through the tangle of Clematis vines; I wonder what he was up to? :unsure:
He probably flew into the clematis trying to get at small birds hiding in there. The usual modus operandi is to shake the shrub/bush and chase whatever flies out. It sounds like your bird overdid the shaking part and ended up entwined. :)

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:07 pm

One came today. I spotted him (I think) on the back fence facing away from the garden; recalled Jacksparrow's comment that he had probably tried and missed.
Anyway, I watched him for a good 2 minutes expecting him to fly away but, no, he hopped into the adjacent rowan and I watched him again in profile this time.
Dunno what happened next because at that point the timer went off to signal that the sprout and scallop casserole was ready ..... :pot: