BLACKBIRDS

All your bird talk in here
nuthatch

Re: BLACKBIRDS

Post by nuthatch » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:02 am

:)

Lots of blackbirds in the back garden this morning - lined up on the fence and on the grass. OH had scattered white bread about :laugh: but there were squishy cherries and apple too :blackbird:

squirrel

Post by squirrel » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:06 pm

Today I was reminded why Blackbirds are my favourite birds. I spent most of the day in the garden doing some pruning, sitting at my patio table and hanging washing out. The birds came and went when they got the chance and I rested down away from the pruning area for a while. My main visitors were Blackbirds.

Whilst I was hanging out my washing, my special female Blackbird came into the garden ( the one who asked for help the other day). I was busy pegging so I didn't see her approach. It was her that told me she was there in the apple tree by making her little Tup, tupping noise. I looked up to see her and could see she wanted food which was about 2 or 3 foot from my feet!! I was talking to her quietly and she decided it was safe to come down with me there at the line. I felt really privileged. First she hopped from the apple tree to the handles of the long handled pruners which were balanced on top of the stepladder. Then she carefully hopped down all the steps of the stepladder to the lawn and then onto the ground feeder table. All the time she was tup tupping. I was going to retreat to the patio so she could eat in peace, but she was happy to eat with me at the line. I felt very honoured. Her choice of food was sultanas with the occasional suet pellet and small amount of sultana tea cake. It was the sultanas she was taking to feed young. All the BLackbirds - mainly males and I think one other female were collected sultanas too.

They all alerted me to their presence with their Tup, Tupping call, so I could move and let them feed. I think we had a good relationship. I pruned for a while, and rested and they are for a bit and went away for a while. I think even the Gold and Green finches joined in to a certain extent by making their noises and I heard and moved and waited and so it went on!! :)

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:09 pm

I think you're very lucky to have a female blackie as a trusted friend, Squirrel, I really do.
Female anythings aren't half as friendly as the male. That's quite amazing :clap: .

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:06 am

Lovely story squirrel.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:49 pm

You have found yourself a real friend there Squirrel. I have one that behaves similarly but my main concern is that he will put the same trust in another person that he has with me and be abused.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:04 pm

My garden has become a Blackbird free zone. I haven't seen one all week. :blackbird: :shake:

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:57 pm

Yes, just a couple here first thing and then no-show for the rest of the day.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:53 pm

It seems not all the :blackbird: have departed as I've seen two in the last couple of days. :)

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:07 pm

Almost exactly a month after I last saw one I caught a glimpse of a Blackie this morning. :)

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:02 pm

My first sighting this morn (I TOLD you The Moult was over :clap: ) - three blackies, 2 m, 1 indeterminate youngster, having an early baff. Day made :D