BLACKBIRDS

All your bird talk in here
Placido

Re: BLACKBIRDS

Post by Placido » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:23 am

Unique weather this month, innit ?? No wonder all our birds are well ahead. Hope there isn't a sting in the tail.

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:42 pm

Early this morn I watched, with initial disbelief, a tussock of green grass hopping along the top rail of the back fence. Soon realised there was a m. blackie behind it; he flew off well pleased with his hard work.
Thing is, they usually go for sere grass not green and fresh. I think he's new at the game :shrug:.
Aaaanyway, blackbirds are nesting :clap: :tampoline: :banana:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:48 pm

Placido wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:42 pm
Early this morn I watched, with initial disbelief, a tussock of green grass hopping along the top rail of the back fence. Soon realised there was a m. blackie behind it; he flew off well pleased with his hard work.
Thing is, they usually go for sere grass not green and fresh. I think he's new at the game :shrug:.
Aaaanyway, blackbirds are nesting :clap: :tampoline: :banana:
I hope you have the pattern for the medium size romper suits :nod:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:17 am

Have a male blackbird here coming in and taking away live mealworms. Was not taking them far though, and taking around two minutes between trips. they wont last long at that rate.

Edit, I soaked some calci worms in hot water for an hour or so and a male blackbird is taking some away. May have two males now taking food. One takes live food and the other soaked.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:53 am

Willpar wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:17 am
Have a male blackbird here coming in and taking away live mealworms. Was not taking them far though, and taking around two minutes between trips. they wont last long at that rate.

Edit, I soaked some calci worms in hot water for an hour or so and a male blackbird is taking some away. May have two males now taking food. One takes live food and the other soaked.
Do you think they already have little ones? :eek:
And do you mind me asking, where do you get live mealworms from? I never bought them before but I might put out some now that the breeding season started :)

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:35 pm

Hi butterfly, I get my live mealworms from Livefoods Direct. Is an online retailer.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:08 am

Found it, thanks Willpar :yes:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:14 pm

My Blackbird has been keeping me entertained this week. He likes to think that the sultanas on the bird table are only supplied for his consumption. However an enterprising hen Blackbird has other ideas. He tries to defend his cache but she it far too crafty for him swooping in the second he is distracted and outflanking him when the inevitable chase ensues :laugh:
I am, however, astonished by his sixth sense. I stood watching him worming the front lawn a couple of times today and on each occasion he became aware of me without having looked in my direction. How do they do that? :shrug:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:39 am

We have that sense Jacksparrow, ever had the feeling you were being watched. I don't know what it is but seems most life have those senses.

Anyways, I have not seen the male blackbird here for several days now. I have a feeling that either it was caught by a cat, or the nest has been predated. Lots of cats here out all day and all night. Birds don't miss up an opportunity for free food, and this one was taking it away big time. Such a shame.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:10 am

Same happened here in my garden many times Jack, I watch birds from my living room and all of a sudden they start looking alarmed :unsure: . I look away and they start getting relaxed :shrug: . I think as Willpar said, we all get "that" feeling when we are being watched :nod:
I hope your blackbird is just busy and not gone for good Willpar, they are such good looking birds :(