BLACKBIRDS

All your bird talk in here
Butterfly

Re: BLACKBIRDS

Post by Butterfly » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:52 am

I haven't seen my female black bird, the one with the bad leg, since I got back from my holiday a couple of weeks ago :( , I fear something might have happened to her :( . The male is around, comes to eat every day. He is one really handsome guy :blackbird: and he is still single from what I can see! I hope he finds himself a lady and have some babies soon :hug2:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:39 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:52 am
I haven't seen my female black bird, the one with the bad leg, since I got back from my holiday a couple of weeks ago :( , I fear something might have happened to her :( . The male is around, comes to eat every day. He is one really handsome guy :blackbird: and he is still single from what I can see! I hope he finds himself a lady and have some babies soon :hug2:
Your female could be brooding eggs. They do leave their nest to feed but for obvious reasons they spend most of the day and night at the nest. Her partner is unemployed until the eggs hatch. Look out for him suddenly putting more energy into collecting food.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:22 pm

I,like most of you I suspect, now have a young Blackbird from the class of 2019 hanging around in the garden. It's immature feathers look a little tatty but otherwise it seems to be healthy and it has decided that if there is an easy meal to be had it needs to be in my face all the time I'm in the back garden. It has developed a taste for the Ark hedgehog pellets which serves it well until I'm around to supply something better. The alpha male is getting slightly irritated by junior's constant presence but so far there has been no real aggro.
PS I am secretly supplying it with a few extra sultanas when BB senior isn't looking. :)

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:10 pm

Had a female blackbird in the garden this evening. Was not having much success collecting spilt dried mealworms though. They kept breaking.

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:45 am

Not got :weep:. BBs still collecting food.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:19 pm

Female blackbird came again this evening. Put own some suet pellets for it.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:06 pm

I had a visit from a new Blackbird. "How did you know it was new one jacksparrow?" I hear you asking ,well this poor fellow has what I believe is some kind of Mite infection. He was already minus his tail, his chest was showing through the few feathers on his front and he was going bald from the base of his beak towards the back of his head. He looked fairly active but his appearance was making him very nervous.

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:21 am

It's awful to see something like that :(. What a shame, Jacksparrow.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:10 am

Thats so sad Jacksparrow :( , poor bird. Do you think it can recover? Can they recover from something like that? :unsure:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:41 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:10 am
Thats so sad Jacksparrow :( , poor bird. Do you think it can recover? Can they recover from something like that? :unsure:
Very unlikely I think. :( They slowly get robbed of their ability to fly very far and I think they usually get predated.
PS I haven't seen him today.