STARLINGS

All your bird talk in here
Butterfly

Re: STARLINGS

Post by Butterfly » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:27 pm

That video made my day Willpar :clap: . My starlings have disappeared, its been 2 days since I got back from my trip and I saw only 1 starling so far ! I miss their cheerfulness and chatter, how social and funny they are :cry2:
I did notice that dark one, it looks like it doesn't have any trademark spots at all. The others look like juveniles to me but not sure about the dark one :scratch:
What is it they are eating? :D

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:51 pm

Hi Butterfly, I do my own mix which is insect suet pellets, sultanas, and dry mealworms. I am adding calci worms in the mix now, no complaints yet. Raisins are to expensive, so I use saltanas. At the moment they are getting through a lot of food.

Biker

Post by Biker » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:00 am

Willpar wrote:Some of my starlings coming in for food.

[youtube][/youtube]

Yesterday afternoon I counted 65 on the rooves across the road, that's without seeing if any were on my roof. Getting through a lot of food.
Love that !!!! Brilliant Willpar !!!! :nod: :clap: :drill:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:15 pm

My starlings are back!!! :rara: :woohoo:
They brought the whole area to life :D

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Good news butterfly.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:41 pm

A very cold night meant that the pedestal bird bath needed de-icing before anyone could use it. This I did at the first opportunity and guess who were first into the freezing water. :) The newly refilled bath was half full again within half an hour. :cold2:

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:49 am

I'm having the same phenomenon occur except it's speugs en masse for communal baffies :).

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:19 am

Its been a strange day. Starlings haven't eaten any of their food :unsure: , which is unbelievable because they always finish it all and leave the dishes empty for me to refill them for the next day. I've seen other birds eating, lots of tits, some pigeons and one lone dunnock, and I've seen starlings around, but they just left their food. I'm puzzled :scratch:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:19 pm

Can go like that butterfly. The hawk is not around is it? But with this mild warm weather there will be lots of worms around. Here where I live the starlings seem to do the rounds so to speak. They know where the food is and go from one place to another. Last winter I hardly had a starling at all. First time in many a year. Why? I did not have a clue, but they returned in the spring. Actually now, my numbers have dropped, not complaining mind you, have a more manageable number to feed.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:00 pm

Willpar wrote:The hawk is not around is it?
I don't think so Willpar, because other birds were here munching away happily :nod: . But you are right, starlings must be doing rounds, because they are back today, as cheerful as ever :D
I was wondering if they might disappear at some point, would they maybe get together with their European migrant cousins to roost together somewhere? Maybe that's why you didn't see them last winter? :scratch:
I'm guessing that the European ones will be coming around this time. That flight across the channel that they have to make makes me cringe :hyper: