STARLINGS

All your bird talk in here
Biker

Re: STARLINGS

Post by Biker » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:05 am

Placido wrote:I second Jacksparrow's slightly amazed plaudits, Bikey :clap:. It restores one's faith in the human thingy to know that someone will generously and willingly dish out care and protection to creatures only slightly in more need than he himself :unsure:.
I would send a donation but the lock on my wee badger handbag has jammed.

Anyway, I agree with your musings. A similar example might be the recent phenomenon of robins singing in the miggle of the night to avoid the constant noise during the daytime which renders their amorous threnodies inaudible. Nature will (hopefully) find a way to stave off extinction.
:D :D I suspect that the patients I deal with on a regular basis are trying to dish out some care for me too placi :D :D . One of my regulars is a blind Hedgehog who probably rates as the cutest I have ever seen. To have him grab my fingers and hang on trustingly whilst I do the biz is a very uplifting experience :nod: :) Not supposed to have favourites, but the blind Hedgie and a certain Youngsturk get slightly personal attention!! :)

Interesting about the Robins. I've noticed this in my garden but couldn't work out what was going on.

Nature will survive placi, through natural means and the power of people combined with the efforts of those with the will to make a difference (ie: members of the forum). :) :nod:

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:57 am

Love the thought of the blind hedgie trusting you, Bikey. That's so nice, it really is. Makes it all worthwhile I guess :nod:.
Another jewel in Bikey's crown (I second that :clap:.) :yes: :yes: :yes:

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:39 pm

:wave2: :clap: :yes:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:18 pm

For the last couple of days I have been getting Sturklets showing signs of moulting into their spotty uniform. :)

Biker

Post by Biker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:21 pm

Jacksparrow wrote:For the last couple of days I have been getting Sturklets showing signs of moulting into their spotty uniform. :)
Noticed that too Jacksparra. A month ahead of schedule in the garden, but nice to see. Most at the hospital are light brown but there is one that is black. Never seen that before. :)

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:07 pm

Biker wrote:
Jacksparrow wrote:For the last couple of days I have been getting Sturklets showing signs of moulting into their spotty uniform. :)
Noticed that too Jacksparra. A month ahead of schedule in the garden, but nice to see. Most at the hospital are light brown but there is one that is black. Never seen that before. :)
Must be a Guiness drinker :nod:

Biker

Post by Biker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:15 pm

:D :) More likely malted Heather Brew. :nod:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:28 am

For a good while now my starling numbers have reached all but zero. I never had many during the breeding season, and now with winter fast approaching i may get the odd one. Usually at this time of the year i could not put out enough food, now the blackbirds of which there are three, are getting the goodies.
Don't why my starling numbers have fell off cliff, i liked seeing them whenever they arrived. I do see a flock of them now and again and they may go on the roof opposite, but don't come down to eat. Quite baffling.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:12 pm

Quite a puzzle you have there willpar. I can only surmise that something has spooked them on your side of the road. I am fortunate to have between four and six who regularly appear when any food is put on the bird table. They are also frequent visitors to the hanging feeders. :)

Kev
Site Admin

Post by Kev » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:17 pm

A couple of Starlings from Friday :)

ImageStarling taking in the late sun by Kevin Clark, on Flickr

ImageMurmuration by Kevin Clark, on Flickr

Image4Y8A2773 by Kevin Clark, on Flickr

Image4Y8A2898 by Kevin Clark, on Flickr