STARLINGS

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Re: STARLINGS

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:42 pm

Placido wrote:Thinking about it, isn't it strange to have just one sturk :shrug:. They usually land in mobs but I reckon this was the same one twice.
Name must be Solo Sturkling :P.
....or Sturky-no-mates. :nod:

Biker

Post by Biker » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:03 am

:shake: Naa Jacksparra. She is a special agent (Napoleurk Solo). They cover their spots with blackberry juice (so they don't - usually - get spotted) and travel from garden to garden checking out food availability. She will be reporting back to HQ in about a month and then Placi is likely to get a visit from a Sturkling Patrol. :nod: :drill:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:14 pm

Biker wrote::shake: Naa Jacksparra. She is a special agent (Napoleurk Solo). They cover their spots with blackberry juice (so they don't - usually - get spotted) and travel from garden to garden checking out food availability. She will be reporting back to HQ in about a month and then Placi is likely to get a visit from a Sturkling Patrol. :nod: :drill:
Oh Urk :sofa: I'm sure Placi will have thought of an excuse for photographing a top secret "operurktive" by then. :nod:

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:25 pm

Solo Sturkling 008.JPG
There's Solo agen !!!!
You can juuuust see the tail fevver sticking out of my nature-themed thicket :rolleyes:.
The Man from Urkle is on my trail - waddid I dooooo :shrug: ?!?!?!?!

Biker

Post by Biker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:52 am

:D Ooooh! Clever disguise that!!! No need to worry placi, Napoleurk Solo only reports back to Sturking HQ. Was probably attracted by mealworms, fresh water or me'be Dairylea triangles and HB (you're not putting out Dairylea triangles and HB are you????.....). The one to watch out for is Illyurk Kuryurkin. Russian tha noz. Likely to bring a lot of his mates over September/October time!!! :)

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:57 pm

I seem to be experiencing a second wave of Sturklets at present. They were doing their level best to drown out normal conversation in the chateau lounge while number two daughter complained of having to turn up the volume on her TV :rolleyes:

Biker

Post by Biker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:10 pm

:nod: Turning up the volume of anything works well Jacksparra!! :D Always thought that two waves of Sturklets was unusual because of what the professionals have been saying for many years (only one breeding season for UK Sturklings). I've been volunteering at a wildlife hospital for a while now and was surprised at the number of 'homeless' Sturklets being handed in by concerned people. My local garden birds are all well on the way to becoming adults and yet I am seeing very young birds being presented to the hospital (usually predated nests or cat victims).
Have to tell you that last Friday a lady turned up at the hospital with a Sturklet that still had the furry 'ears'. She had cared for it after the nest was predated by a cat. I was standing next to a member of staff when the lady was explaining that she had done her best to rear the bird but it was now trying to fly and she had no idea what to do next. Luckily, the hospital staff know exactly what to do and took the bird in, introduced it to other Sturklets of the same age and will keep an eye on it until it is fully able to fly. As each 'patient' is given a number, the lady was told to phone back if she would like to know how her little friend is doing.
Methinks that UK breeding Sturklings need to be reviewed as evidence is building to prove that they may be going for at least two waves of youngsturks to help stem their decline. :)

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:30 pm

I am inclined to think that the latest arrival of Sturklets is late nesters rather than second time around but that is based on no good evidence. :)
Well done Biker for helping out at your local wildlife hospital. :clap: I would think it is a combination of hard work and great satisfaction. :nod:

Placido

Post by Placido » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:44 pm

I second Jacksparrow's slightly amazed plaudits, Bikey :clap:. It restores one's faith in the human thingy to know that someone will generously and willingly dish out care and protection to creatures only slightly in more need than he himself :unsure:.
I would send a donation but the lock on my wee badger handbag has jammed.

Anyway, I agree with your musings. A similar example might be the recent phenomenon of robins singing in the miggle of the night to avoid the constant noise during the daytime which renders their amorous threnodies inaudible. Nature will (hopefully) find a way to stave off extinction.

Biker

Post by Biker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:32 pm

Jacksparrow wrote:I am inclined to think that the latest arrival of Sturklets is late nesters rather than second time around but that is based on no good evidence. :)
Well done Biker for helping out at your local wildlife hospital. :clap: I would think it is a combination of hard work and great satisfaction. :nod:
Could be right Jacksparra. Not seen anything in my garden to indicate any new fledglings. The hospital covers most of Hampshire, Sussex and Surrey, but people will travel from London and beyond to hand over wildlife in need of help. There certainly could be late breeding seasons in other areas.
It is exactly that my friend. Hard work but a satisfaction money could not buy. :) :) :drill: