STARLINGS

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Re: STARLINGS

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun May 27, 2018 7:47 pm

A nice warm day today so just right to have the patio doors open for the lounge. Unfortunately so loud was the din from the Sturklets hearing the telly was proving very difficult. Bless `em. :(

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:41 pm

Hello everyone, I'm a new member here :wave2:
As I said in my introduction post, I'm not an expert in gardening or wildlife, but I love animals <3
I really don't know much about birds, and I have to google often to find info on them.
But I've always felt love for them, so just recently, I decided to set up a bird feeding station in my small garden,
in hope to attract few birds. And that I did :nod: . I saw a couple of these small(ish) black (looked black) birds landing
on my feeder, and I was delighted :D . Little did I know what's gonna hit me, because the next thing I know, there is a
bunch of them with their screaming fledglings on my garden fence :eek: . And the mayhem started :D
After I got over initial shock, I fell in love with my Starlings <3. Such a beautiful, energetic, intelligent, social, entertaining birds.
There is around 30-40 of them coming and going every day, impossible to count them, they move too quick :)
I saw just 2 nights ago, quite late, around 9.30pm , couple of them collecting what looked as a nesting material :unsure:
Would they still be nesting this late? If its late? Should I be preparing myself for another noise attack? :laugh:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:34 pm

Butterfly wrote:Hello everyone, I'm a new member here :wave2:
As I said in my introduction post, I'm not an expert in gardening or wildlife, but I love animals <3
I really don't know much about birds, and I have to google often to find info on them.
But I've always felt love for them, so just recently, I decided to set up a bird feeding station in my small garden,
in hope to attract few birds. And that I did :nod: . I saw a couple of these small(ish) black (looked black) birds landing
on my feeder, and I was delighted :D . Little did I know what's gonna hit me, because the next thing I know, there is a
bunch of them with their screaming fledglings on my garden fence :eek: . And the mayhem started :D
After I got over initial shock, I fell in love with my Starlings <3. Such a beautiful, energetic, intelligent, social, entertaining birds.
There is around 30-40 of them coming and going every day, impossible to count them, they move too quick :)
I saw just 2 nights ago, quite late, around 9.30pm , couple of them collecting what looked as a nesting material :unsure:
Would they still be nesting this late? If its late? Should I be preparing myself for another noise attack? :laugh:
It is unusual for Starlings to be starting a nest at this time of year as they are generally regarded as being single brooders.
We are currently at peak season for Starling numbers because of this year's fledglings accompanying the adults. I would expect your numbers to steadily decline over the coming month as the adults look for somewhere quieter(without the kids) and safer to have their annual moult.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:58 pm

Thanks Jacksparrow, thats good to know so I don't think something sinister has happened :)
Would youngsters not change their feathers too? :unsure:

There was a bit of a stress this morning in the garden when the neighbour's cat sneaked up over the fence and jumped right next to the starlings, gave them such a fright , and me too. Luckily nothing happened, its difficult for a cat to jump over the fence and avoid the thorny rose that is there, and the cat didn't look like it was out to kill, but still, dear God! They've been so jumpy and quiet ever since, poor things :hug2:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:19 pm

Butterfly wrote:Thanks Jacksparrow, thats good to know so I don't think something sinister has happened :)
Would youngsters not change their feathers too? :unsure:

There was a bit of a stress this morning in the garden when the neighbour's cat sneaked up over the fence and jumped right next to the starlings, gave them such a fright , and me too. Luckily nothing happened, its difficult for a cat to jump over the fence and avoid the thorny rose that is there, and the cat didn't look like it was out to kill, but still, dear God! They've been so jumpy and quiet ever since, poor things :hug2:
You will notice the youngsters start their first moult into their adult plumage fairly soon. The spotty feathers on the breast area are usually the first to appear but I think they keep their flight wing flight feathers which makes them less vulnerable.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:39 pm

I think I saw one youngster today with few spots on the breast area :clap: . There are less of them around though, I don't know if because they got spooked or just gone some place else and spread around :shrug:
Here is a picture of part of the group in my garden, apologies for bad quality, its taken by my phone and through the glass, every time I try to take a better picture with the garden door opened they fly away :rolleyes:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:50 am

"What do you think? Do we pass as tree ornaments?"

Check out their new uniform appearing :love:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Some of my starlings coming in for food.

[youtube][/youtube]

Yesterday afternoon I counted 65 on the rooves across the road, that's without seeing if any were on my roof. Getting through a lot of food.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:09 pm

Amazing shots Willpar. :wow: I have never seen that many Sturks in my garden. :shake:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:46 pm

Most I have had in a while Jacksparrow. I love seeing them though. Did you notice the very dark one, it stood out from the rest. Unless the others were mainly juveniles. But it did not seem as colourful as the rest of them.