Was that it?

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Was that it?

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:01 pm

As we have now transited fro winter to spring I have been reflecting on how it has been in my garden for avian visits in general. I think I can confidently state that it was the quietest for at least ten years. I don't intend to bore you with the numbers of every bird species that visit but only a couple that sum the situation up nicely. Blackbirds maxed out at five during the darkest ,coldest time when previous years would have been easily into double figures for several weeks. Chaffinches were never sighted along with Fieldfares,Redwings,Mistle Thrush and Song Thrush :( . The only bright spot was House Sparrows which maintained their presence as in previous years.
I do have a theory as to why there is a dearth in bird numbers. In the last couple of years a huge housing estate has been built between where I live and the nearest bit of countryside. If only a tenth of those houses are feeding the birds why on earth would they bother searching me out? So,from being near the edge of town I am now well inside the built up area and as soon as I win the lottery I shall be moving somewhere nearer the birds. :nod:

nuthatch

Re: Was that it?

Post by nuthatch » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:28 am

Do it, Jacksparrow - sell up, build a log cabin and also get a camper van - tootle around a bit :scratch:

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:30 am

I think I may be reinforcing your theory, Jacksparrow, because my winter was distinctly average. Noticed no difference in bird numbers nor in species. No specific population increase has happened close to my abode although such increase is general everywhere nowadays and must mean a gradual decrease in animal normal existence. It's all very sad and all very true. In the short-term, humankind will win but lose in the long run; however, no-one thinks of that in the present.

I wish you luck in your vagabond venture - it's been nice but occasionally aggravating knowing you. Mrs. J. will surely accept the situation with equanimity and look for the occasional postcard from you.
Will she take in boarders, I wonder ....... I know I would :wave2:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:06 pm

Placido wrote:I think I may be reinforcing your theory, Jacksparrow, because my winter was distinctly average. Noticed no difference in bird numbers nor in species. No specific population increase has happened close to my abode although such increase is general everywhere nowadays and must mean a gradual decrease in animal normal existence. It's all very sad and all very true. In the short-term, humankind will win but lose in the long run; however, no-one thinks of that in the present.

I wish you luck in your vagabond venture - it's been nice but occasionally aggravating knowing you. Mrs. J. will surely accept the situation with equanimity and look for the occasional postcard from you.
Will she take in boarders, I wonder ....... I know I would :wave2:
Stand fast with the fondish farewells as the required lottery win has not(at the time of typing) yet materialised :(

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:49 am

Surely Mrs JS will be there too :D :rara: :newyear: :tree: :bird2: :fox: :bunny: