Robin

All your bird talk in here
Placido

Re: Robin

Post by Placido » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:48 am

All of a sudden my 'best mate', Bobbin, looks very old and beat-up. I think he's nearing the end of his reign and will be deposed by one of his sons at the onset of winter.
He wasn't the friendliest nor cheekiest of my long line of robins but a long-laster. Hope Rexit is a good 'un :).

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:53 pm

Its sad but at the same time really lovely to see a wild bird reach an old age and die of old age :)
Many are not that lucky, nature can be very cruel :(
Instead of be sad, lets celebrate the life of your 'best mate' Placido and the time he has left with you :love:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:12 pm

Perhaps your forecasts of Bobbin's demise are a little premature. This is the time of year when some birds have their moult and they never look their best and nor do they behave as usual.

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:31 am

Yes, Jacksparrow, but a wild robin usually lives for about two years and they sometimes seem not to get through that second winter because they can't win fights for territory. At least, a new king always emerges in the following (second) Spring to supplant the old 'best mate'.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:46 pm

For a while now I hadn't seen a robin around my garden. Last few days, I first started hearing the song, and yesterday and today I saw him very active around the garden :D . His chest is red but pale colour, so I don't know if its a female or a youngster :unsure:
He/she was very inquisitive and checked all corners, dishes, plants etc. in the garden, it was such fun to watch :clap:
Hopefully it will stay here :love:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:13 pm

Butterfly wrote:For a while now I hadn't seen a robin around my garden. Last few days, I first started hearing the song, and yesterday and today I saw him very active around the garden :D . His chest is red but pale colour, so I don't know if its a female or a youngster :unsure:
He/she was very inquisitive and checked all corners, dishes, plants etc. in the garden, it was such fun to watch :clap:
Hopefully it will stay here :love:
I too saw a robin in the garden today after a short break. I believe they are mid-moult at present and the new plumage will be along shortly.

Placido

Post by Placido » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:31 am

Toady, whilst in the kitchen considering my options, down came The Heir Apparent, Rexit, onto the patio wall and looked up expectantly.
I knew that look and that body language (having taught his great-great-great-great-grandfather) and hurriedly put early elevenses together. True enuf, the ground feeder was totally empty of breakfast. Immediate smiles on beaks.

Rexit has learned well from his dad, Bobbin, who isn't around too much at the mo. If the Best Mate position is being handed over graciously then that will be a First; usually it's quite a violent and sad affair :cry2:.

Rex mortuus est, vivat rex : trans.: "Le roi est dead, long live le roi" :P.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:01 pm

Not seen an autumn robin yet. I do usually get at least one come in for a feed.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:14 pm

My new robin seem to be very friendly :D . He landed on the grass right next to my foot yesterday, startled me :eek: haha
Very cute indeed :love:

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:42 am

Didn't have any Robins or chicks for quite a while. Now breeding is over I have one at the moment, not in every day but three to four times a week.