Robin

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Re: Robin

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:52 pm

Placido wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:21 am
Today was A First !! Rexit came to the little patio wall, threw him a suet pellet and down he came. We played the game for a moment and then !!!! she flew down so I threw her a pellet. Without a moment's hesitation Raquel :rolleyes: :shrug: came down and retrieved it :eek:.
I just knew we're going to have trouble with this one :nod:; bit fast and pushy.

Aaaanyway, extremely unusual to have a female robin willing to get close and personal prior to the frantic "feed the babies at all costs" phase which is a way off yet.
Whenever the push to reproduce kicks in it looks like you've won the contract for the catering. :nod:

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:17 am

Orders Now Being Taken ....... :)

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:06 pm

This morning I was throwing Rexit his little pieces of suet pellets; I could see him but he didn't leave the pyrawotsit. Strange.
Then I heard the very quiet semi-voice twitter from the bush - that was his mate. He immediately forgot all about me and disappeared.
I've heard this semi-voice previously, either bird will do it. It's a private language not meant for humans to hear :eek: :)

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:05 pm

I went out to try and get closer and take a picture of my robin, because you can never have too many robin pictures, and as I was pointing my camera at him, his lady friend came into frame :eek: , but decided she doesn't wanna be pictured and flew off :rolleyes: . I still caught her just as she turned , so here is both of them in one photo :D

He is such a poser though :D , so he waited patiently for me to take his photo :nod:

:love:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:19 am

I saw my robin, 2 days in a row now, feeding the other robin :unsure: . I don't think its a fledgling because the red chest is visible. I assume its a female because the red chest is smaller and softer colour. Is that usual, for robin to feed its mate, away from the nest ? :scratch:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:42 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:19 am
I saw my robin, 2 days in a row now, feeding the other robin :unsure: . I don't think its a fledgling because the red chest is visible. I assume its a female because the red chest is smaller and softer colour. Is that usual, for robin to feed its mate, away from the nest ? :scratch:
There are no visual differences between the sexes in Robins. I think it is a courtship ritual.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:58 am

Jacksparrow wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:42 pm
Butterfly wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:19 am
There are no visual differences between the sexes in Robins. I think it is a courtship ritual.
Courtship ritual? That is so sweet :D , I saw them doing it again this morning, they are beyond cute :love: :hug2:

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:59 am

This is a mega-First; feel very privileged !!
Spotted robin (assumed it to be Rexit) perching on top of feeder cage so took out a varied and nourishing selection of mid-morning snacks. The game lately is to throw a suet pellet in the general direction and down comes the robin for 'personal' tasty - a little ritual enjoyed by all :nod:.
Pellet duly launched - no response :eek:. Repeated and again nothing. 4 times I did it and then realised that a robin was singing from a tree so this one must be Raquel :rolleyes:. Not really unusual 'cos she's a bit bold this one, but normally it's Rexit.
However - suddenly Rexit appeared on side wall, flew straight onto cage roof (me about 3 ft away) and they mated :faint:. They then flew into a conveniently placed pyrawotsit and mated again :wow:.
Now that is trust :nod: , or possibly supreme indifference :shrug: . Whatever, that's a First :wow:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:58 pm

Placido wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:59 am
This is a mega-First; feel very privileged !!
Spotted robin (assumed it to be Rexit) perching on top of feeder cage so took out a varied and nourishing selection of mid-morning snacks. The game lately is to throw a suet pellet in the general direction and down comes the robin for 'personal' tasty - a little ritual enjoyed by all :nod:.
Pellet duly launched - no response :eek:. Repeated and again nothing. 4 times I did it and then realised that a robin was singing from a tree so this one must be Raquel :rolleyes:. Not really unusual 'cos she's a bit bold this one, but normally it's Rexit.
However - suddenly Rexit appeared on side wall, flew straight onto cage roof (me about 3 ft away) and they mated :faint:. They then flew into a conveniently placed pyrawotsit and mated again :wow:.
Now that is trust :nod: , or possibly supreme indifference :shrug: . Whatever, that's a First :wow:
Amazing. I dunno what's in those pellets but they ought to be available for human consumption :nod:

Placido

Post by Placido » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:37 am

:rofl2:
Not given to laughing out loud first thing in the morning, but that did it !!! :yes: