Help please, new house/garden.

All your bird talk in here
RichieRahh

Help please, new house/garden.

Post by RichieRahh » Thu May 26, 2016 4:24 am

Hi all just registered to this forum so hello all :D

I've just recently moved house and have a big tree in my garden with tits, blackbirds, robins, finches, ect.

I absolutely love bird watching and often watch them for hours but I ain't sure what to feed them? Recently made a bird box and feeder but all they seem to eat is bread..

Any advice would be appreciated.

Richie.

JooMoo
Site Admin

Re: Help please, new house/garden.

Post by JooMoo » Thu May 26, 2016 7:02 pm

Hi Richie and a big welcome to this little forum with a big love for birds.

I find birds love bread and would eat it every day, but I only give them bread when it too stale for me.
My feeders are full of sunflower hearts.
I have a nyger feeder but is not used much. I sometimes put peanuts out, but only the tits like them.
Fat balls are always a favourite. I often get the fat cakes and fat candles, but they can sometimes go straight away or sometimes aren't touched.

But the biggest favourite is mealworms.
I like reading

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu May 26, 2016 8:15 pm

If I may add to Joomoo's suggestions I'd suggest a decent sized bird bath and for the Sparrows a feeder with a wild bird seed mix. :yes:
P.S. Welcome to the forum RichieRahh :nod: :wave2:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu May 26, 2016 9:36 pm

Welcome to the forum Richie. Blackbirds will love suet pellets, dried mealworms, raisins/sultanas. Fed from a ground feeder or a bird table off the ground. Depends if you have a cat problem.

RichieRahh

Post by RichieRahh » Thu May 26, 2016 11:02 pm

Oooooo hi all :D thanks for the replies! Just ordered mealworm and seed with some feeders! Can't wait for this! noone I know enjoys nature really, and at my age not many people are into it, I'm 28 but LOVE birds and so on. Be nice to become a regular on here and have something to talk about don't get to share my thoughts with people I know as they think it's weird :/ will keep updates on how the feeding is going too! Thanks again :D

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Fri May 27, 2016 8:38 am

:tree: Hi Richie :wave2: Best Wishes to You in Your New House and Garden :feedbirds: :blackbird:

JooMoo
Site Admin

Post by JooMoo » Fri May 27, 2016 9:13 pm

And it's the time of year to see the babies taking their first steps and flights.
I like reading

RichieRahh

Post by RichieRahh » Sat May 28, 2016 9:07 am

Thanks for the replies. Had a few finches feeding from the feeders this morning really didn't expect them too as they're so shy! Hopefully they will get used to me soon! Pictures to follow hopefully! Would love to see some babies!

RichieRahh

Post by RichieRahh » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:22 am

Just a quick update, birds are thriving! And I've recently found out they are greedy :D feeder of mealworms a day! Anyone know of a cheaper solution as they ain't too cheap! Got some mealworm suet blocks arriving shortly! And recently purchased new binoculars and are fantastic.
Hope everyone is well
Richie.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:32 pm

At this time of year there is little requirement to have a continuous supply of mealies as natural food is abundant. They will take them if offered and if you want to continue feeding dried mealworms are the cheapest way. Remember that while it is important to keep offering food all year round that we are only supplementing their normal food.
It is good that you're experimenting with other foods as strangely what the birds prefer can vary from region to region.
Apart from the depths of winter this is one of the busiest times for garden birds as many are raising families and trying to get as many broods as possible. However, come the middle of August the garden will get a lot quieter for birds and will not pick up again till November so enjoy them while you can.