All your bird talk in here
peregrine

Re: Ospreys

Post by peregrine » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:27 pm

Lady G is on the nest at Glaslyn as is Aila at Loch Arkaig

Possible dates for earliest hatching first egg
Mrs G - Glaslyn - 31 May
Aila - Loch Arkaig - 3 June

Other eggs probably about three days apart.

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Mon May 04, 2020 4:34 pm

Loch Arkaig - Louis incubating the eggs. Aila landed on nest with large clump of nest material and dumped it beside Louis. She tried to shift Louis to take over incubating. Louis didn't want to move but eventually gave in to Aila's persistence.

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Tue May 05, 2020 4:55 pm

Lovely clear and sharp cam pics from both Lock Arkaig and Glaslyn. Both females sitting now.

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Fri May 08, 2020 11:47 am

Not much to report. Incubation continues on both nests by the female.

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Wed May 13, 2020 3:39 pm

Incubation continues. Birds on both nests change regularly to share the incubating.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed May 13, 2020 3:57 pm

I can't wait to see some hatchlings, hopefully soon :D

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Wed May 13, 2020 4:51 pm

Nothing to report. Males and females at both nests still taking it in turn ti incubate the eggs. Eggs take hatch in 35 - 42 days. Should be nearer the end of this month when first egg at Glaswyn is due to hatch. At Loch Arkcaig should be first week in June. Only a quess as I don't know for sure when the first egg at each nest was laid.

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Sat May 30, 2020 8:28 am

Apologies for not posting recently. I probably had the same problem as other members. Just a quick update as to what is happening on both nests'

Glaslyn - All three eggs have hatched. First on Wednesday 20 May at 10.52' Second on Thursday 21 May at 17.59. Eggs usually hatch three days apart. In this case I think the female didn't start to really incubate the single egg for a couple of days so development was slower and the second egg hatched the day after the first one hatched. Third egg hatched three days after the second egg. Chick not as developed as the first two and is considerable smaller. It is having a hard time from its other two siblings but is putting up a good fight. All three chicks are on view at the moment.

Loch Arkaig - Three eggs laid. The first one hatched yesterday. Second egg expected to hatch on Monday.

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Sun May 31, 2020 11:34 am

Glaslyn - chick are fairly growing. Was concerned about third chick that hatched three days after the second chick. It didn't seem to be getting fed but appears to be getting enough food. Smaller than the other two chicks.

Loch Arkaig - Feeding time just over. Female blocking out view of chick. Not sure if second chick has arrived ( due tomorrow).

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sun May 31, 2020 12:05 pm

peregrine wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:34 am
Glaslyn - chick are fairly growing. Was concerned about third chick that hatched three days after the second chick. It didn't seem to be getting fed but appears to be getting enough food. Smaller than the other two chicks.
Lets hope that the parents provide enough food and are competent because its crucial for the smaller chicks. I've watched bold eagle cams for years now and learned that its normal for the chicks that hatched later to be considerably smaller, and to be fed less. Parents give them enough food according to their size, bigger ones need more food, smaller ones less, so its normal even though nerve wrecking to watch :hyper: .
The only time there is a real danger of the younger one being killed by the sibling(s) is if the parents are inexperienced or not sure how to feed them correctly, or there is not enough food around.
I'm always so nervous watching how the smaller chick gets on. Lets hope :)