Ospreys

All your bird talk in here
peregrine

Re: Ospreys

Post by peregrine » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:31 pm

NC0 on nest at the moment. She is tucking into a substantial fish.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:12 am

I watched on rewind and saw both, LM12 or NC0 on the nest early this morning, it was still dark, they just stayed there for some time. I think LM12 was on the nest first, than came NC0 and landed on top of him accidentally :laugh:

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:25 am

Watching three nests at the moment,

Loch of the Lowes
Lock Arkaig
Poole Harbour

Loch of the Lowes - Resident male - LM12 - wing feathers extend beyond end of tail. New female - NC0. Battle royal with third Osprey last weekend. Not sure if intruder was the former resident female LF15. Infrequent visits by both bird to the nest since the trouble.

Loch Arkaig - New nest for me this year. Resident male - Louis. Resident female - Aila who is frequently on the nest. No sign she is ready to settle down and start laying.

Poole Harbour - In Dorset, 5 miles from Bournemouth. Both birds ringed but haven't seen them clearly. Male - think is LS7. Female - think is CJ7 and on the nest a lot. No sign she is ready to lay.

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:51 pm

Only bird on the nest at Loch of the Lowes today has been a Great Tit. I didn't see any Ospreys on the nest yesterday either. Looks like the Ospreys have now completely abandoned the nest.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:40 pm

peregrine wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:51 pm
Only bird on the nest at Loch of the Lowes today has been a Great Tit.
And yesterday I saw a sparrow taking nest material away :flying: . Its sad that the couple gave up though :(

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:50 am

Blog updated at Loch of the Lowes and staff have answered a few questions sent by members. LM12 and NC0 seemingly are still returning the nest but early in the morning.

Poole Harbour - CJ7 lying in nest cup trying to develop it.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:36 am

From the Loch of the Lowes blog:
2. Do we think the birds have been scared off?

We can’t be certain but again, it’s possible. An incident last Saturday where shouting was heard over the webcam’s microphone might have spooked the ospreys, but it’s equally possible that they would have made this apparent shift away from the nest anyway.

Ospreys are very susceptible to human disturbance and, as a Schedule 1 listed species in the UK, it’s illegal to disturb nesting ospreys under the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981. As with any human disturbance to the nest, we immediately reported last weekend’s incident to the Police Wildlife Crime Liaison Officer.
I didn't realise there was a human disturbance at the nest. That makes me so angry! :grumpy:

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:24 am

All nests empty at the moment.

Think we can safely say that Loch of the Lowes nest has been abandoned. Haven't seen any Ospreys on it for some time. After the battles with the intruder, LM12 and NC0 have went their separated ways or took up residence on another nest in the area.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:19 pm

peregrine wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:24 am
All nests empty at the moment.

Think we can safely say that Loch of the Lowes nest has been abandoned. Haven't seen any Ospreys on it for some time. After the battles with the intruder, LM12 and NC0 have went their separated ways or took up residence on another nest in the area.
I was just thinking that, such a shame :(