Feral Pigeons

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Feral Pigeons

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:05 pm

Of late my FP visitors have nearly doubled. Over the rest of the year I usually attract about half a dozen at the most but today I counted 13 but there may have been more. They are doing a sterling job mopping up the dropped and wasted food of other visitors so I have no complaints.
I have noticed elsewhere(not on this forum) a growing antipathy to FPs and the term "disease ridden flying rats" being bandied around. Now I'm aware that in the inner cities the FPs find themselves in dubious accommodation and struggle to scrape an existence but do they really deserve the "flying rats" tag. I have not come across any data which proves they are a danger the human's wellbeing and I would wager that they clear up dropped food and get it off the street before Rats get the chance. How would pigeons transfer their supposed diseases to the human population escapes me unless the care of stored food is not being taken seriously.
The FPs that visit me are immaculate and clean and I do not hesitate to allow them to eat what they come to eat. I'll admit in the past I gave had trouble as a couple of smart alecs had found out how to use the hanging feeders but the current mob are cheerfully unaware, it seems, that any such feeding opportunity exists. :)

greenfinch2

Re: Feral Pigeons

Post by greenfinch2 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:25 pm

I get them as well 8 at the most but they do clean up , I was in ABDN waiting for the OH sitting on a seat outside when a lady appeared beside me and emptied a bag of Peanuts along the pavement and FP by the dozen came and enjoyed the feast ,I must admit I was shocked and surprised I was told it was a daily thing ,a bit like Seagulls it the people should nae feed them.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:47 pm

People regularly feed the FPs in my local town centre. Unbelievably there have been complaints from some folk claiming it will attract Rats. Fat chance I say as the FPs won't leave food behind if they can help it. As well as these handouts they are keeping the pavements clear of dropped food. Their favourite haunt is outside Greggs bakeries where the crumbs and bigger bits of Sausage Roll get them well sustained. :)

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:30 pm

No probs with them in town/city/village centres, mopping up the waste but I don't like them in my garden eating ground food put out for the wild birds which have a hard enough time of it without the sleek, chubby ferals hoovering up the specially designed wild food. They come on a daily basis and I reckon there must be a watch-pigeon 'cos they never miss a beat. I am heartily sick of them.

Once upon a time there was a prog which introduced a waiting world to Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. The nub and the gist of said prog was him rattling around Britain in an old van kitted out with a sort of kitchen and he was living 100% off the land. No purchases only catching stuff or bartering labour for food. Beggars, particularly hungry ones, can't be choosers and he ate anything which came to hand.
Aaaaanyway, he was in (I think) Trafalgar Square making a fool of himself in front of all the tourists by attempting to catch a feral pegeon and in the end he succeeded.
He had a doubtful look at the unfortunate beast, decided against it and let it go.
As I recall, during his sojourn that was the only thing he refused to eat and frankly I don't blame him.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:52 pm

I agree it is hard to watch the ferals gobbling expensive food and possibly denying the other birds as on occasions I have harboured bad thoughts about their presence. As I have said my current flock seemingly are only interested in dropped food and even then do not take all of it. I have never been free of ferals so I don't know how different things would be if they didn't come but I'm fairly sure the pile of wasted food would be a good deal higher than at present.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:45 pm

At present I have a flock of about 15 ferals visiting on a regular basis. On the whole they cause me very little problem that is up till now. It appears a couple of them have learnt how to position themselves on the hanging feeders to get the goodies. :( The biggest problem deriving from this is that they deter the smaller birds because they take up the perching points and tend to flap their wings a great deal trying to maintain a grip. :sadbanana:

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:14 am

Bane of my life hence the ground feeding cage which (thank you :rolleyes:) a few of the brainier or bravest blackbirds now enter but overall that is a sad, selective method of deterring feral pigeons.
Breaks my heart to see woodies and collies straining their necks in to reach a few grains of seed.

I heartily detest the creatures, they are the bane of my life and they all have watches. Early or late, they are there up on the neighbour's roof, only the quantity varies, and I wish I had a 12-bore.

I'm not surprised at your post, Jacksparrow, they obviously have survived through guile and wit.
I wonder whether a scientist has ever matched one against a corvid on a survival course .......
My money would be on the ********** feral.

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:20 pm

:D :D :D Paddled outside with the 3 pm feed :raining:. Looked out a couple of minutes later and there were 4 ferals feeding away as only they can do banghead. Banged on kitchen window and they flew up onto my roof as per, waiting for me to go away. Wait though !! One was actually inside the ground cage feeder and couldn't find its way out :clap: :clap: :clap:.
Watched it panic, throw itself against the bars of its prison for about 60 seconds and then remember where the key was :(. Squeezed itself out and took off like a rocket.
Have only seen small birds since. Hope this is a lesson ..... but I doubt it :shake:.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:14 pm

At least 20 ferals came for breakfast this morning. Most get very little other than what has dropped from the hanging feeders. However there is one which has learnt how to use the hanging feeder :(

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:41 pm

Easily 20 ferals were present again this morning :( . The clever one who had discovered how to use the hanging feeders has been giving lessons as there are now four ready to follow suit :cry3: My feeders have become the go to place for breakfast for the ferals so I have taken steps to reduce their appeal. Both my feeders featured perch rings so I have replaced one with the basic single perch and the other I have removed the detachable rings. The sparrows, as ever, were very suspicious of the new arrangements and refused to give them a try but I will have to wait until the morning to see if it spoils the feral's feeding frenzy. :shrug: