Binoculars

All your bird talk in here
johnd83

Binoculars

Post by johnd83 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:07 am

Morning all,

I am looking for some advice on binoculars. What does everyone use and any recommendations. At the moment I have two pairs. I have a small pair of Tasco 8X21. I also have a bigger set which are 10X50 multi-coated optic 99m/1000m.

Willpar

Re: Binoculars

Post by Willpar » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:45 am

Hi John, I have two pairs made by Canon. They are 12x36 and the 18x50. Both these have image stabilization. Not cheap mind you. But the IS comes into its own then you push the button.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:51 pm

It very much depends on your budget and what you want to do with them. If you just need them for watching birds in the garden a lower powered pair would be suitable but if you're going out into the field something with a little more power would be better. With binoculars the old maxim applies in that "you get what you pay for". Before you make your mind up find a retailer who will let you try them out.
Birdwatching magazine carries adverts for on-line retailers and sometimes the adverts tell you if there is going to be a demonstration.These are held at RSPB sites and in some cases WWT sites.
I have two pairs , 6.5 x 21 Pentax Papilio which I use for birds close to the house. They focus down to 0.5 metre which is good for Insects and Butterflies. My best ones are 10x50 Nikons. Very clear, light weight, roof lens rather than prismatic.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:06 am

I have two compact pairs - one is 10 x 25 - the other pair is probably similar.

I find binoculars intensely irritating to use :laugh: so don't very much. If I'm trying to focus on a bird I can never locate the part of the tree it's in quickly enough before it flies off.

I've also got a pair of those binoculars with a camera - I think I took a photo of a bird or bit of foliage with them once. If I did it'll still be on the camera. I think, at the time, I just couldn't be bothered to read all about them :rolleyes: I can't imagine the pair I've got are up to much - I can't even remember how I came by them :photo: :laugh: