Re: R S P B

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:32 pm

Placido wrote:Bikey: :thumbsup: :drumroll: :goodvibes:
:iagree:

Biker

Post by Biker » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:29 am

Placido wrote:
Bad feelings about the clash twixt Sir Ian and the Society - not a man to cross I think :(
...and so it begins!! :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p044fnlg

Although Beefy should not quote figures he claims was produced by BTO!! :shrug:

http://us13.campaign-archive1.com/?u=b0 ... 2a5d91fc88

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:48 am

This very morning the 'Today' programme reported that a young, tagged hen harrier born last month up in Banffshire has disappeared. It has been monitored and tracked from birth.
Also reported that 8 golden eagles have been killed up there this year.

Good sport I s'pose plus someone gets the 'feelgood factor' from supposedly doing good.
The entire concept is dreadfully wrong, that any wild thing should be deliberately reared purely for slaughter.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:23 pm

I was surprised to learn that Grouse couldn't be farmed like they do with Pheasants. They have to rely on nature to get the birds for the shooting. I would have thought that the raptor share of the birds was reasonable and sustainable but gamekeepers seem to take the view that any sharing of the birds is unacceptable. They appear to try and take ownership of the wild birds because they help keep the Grouse moors suitable for the Grouse. Having seen the discussion on Countryfile last Sunday it is difficult to see where there is room for compromise by any of the parties involved.

Biker

Post by Biker » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:12 am

Law protecting raptors:
Suspect that it is the fact that the law cannot be enforced that is causing this conflict. Judges seem undecided about who is responsible for breaking the law and find gamekeepers less than responsible, which may explain the lack of convictions. Personally, I'd like to see an early end to the Packham/Botham interlude and an enforcement of the law, which is clearly in favour of prosecuting the illegal persecution of raptors. Judges should be aware of how near to extinction some species are and act accordingly. Some gamekeepers may see any fines (which should include potential bonus payments) not worth their wages if the law is upheld.
Driven Grouse sport:
Don't think that driven Grouse hunting should be associated with the case of protecting raptors. The law is already in place for protection of raptors, just not enforced sufficiently.
Agree entirely with placi about the rearing of any wild things for slaughter. Not right in any language and especially not in the 21st century!!!!!!

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:01 pm

I am stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea on the subject of rearing birds for the sole purpose of them becoming gun fodder. Here is my dilemma . At the present time shooting game in this country is legal within laid down seasons. There is a large minority of people who are prepared to pay substantial amounts of money for the privilege of shooting game so an industry has sprung up over many years to supply this need. Pheasants do not require special breeding conditions but if there were no specially bred birds they would be extinct in this country and probably all the breeds of Partridge and Grouse too as naturally bred birds cannot keep up the supply. Unlike Grouse moors Pheasant shoots require minimal managing but ensure the birds hang around they are fed in certain copses and along trails. They, however, are not the sole beneficiaries from the feeding as other smaller species are on hand to eat up what the Pheasants don't eat. For some species this is the difference between survival or death in harsh winters. The practice also preserves habitat which might otherwise be turned over to food production or left to go completely wild.
I don't like birds being shot at any more than all of us on this forum but the present system for Pheasants does have knock on benefits for other wildlife.Also enough Pheasants(an introduced species) survive the onslaught to be a common sight in the countryside which is great for they are magnificent birds.

Biker

Post by Biker » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:48 am

Agree with all of above, but feel that the shooting fraternity should move with the times. No need to murder (ie: to plan to kill) creatures in this day and age. Hunting can be achieved with tags and lasers, where the hunter gains points for every direct hit (the tag ensures that they can't get the same hit twice). They'd get bonus points for shooting every predator (the RSPB tags would be programmed into their 'guns') and for finding naturally predated remains. They could satisfy their thirst for hunting without harming a single creature. They could even get points for shooting each other!!!! It really could be done. I worked on this technology ten years ago. I doubt however, that the hunters would even consider such an option as most of them are pretty much stuck in another century.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:40 pm

Biker wrote:Agree with all of above, but feel that the shooting fraternity should move with the times. No need to murder (ie: to plan to kill) creatures in this day and age. Hunting can be achieved with tags and lasers, where the hunter gains points for every direct hit (the tag ensures that they can't get the same hit twice). They'd get bonus points for shooting every predator (the RSPB tags would be programmed into their 'guns') and for finding naturally predated remains. They could satisfy their thirst for hunting without harming a single creature. They could even get points for shooting each other!!!! It really could be done. I worked on this technology ten years ago. I doubt however, that the hunters would even consider such an option as most of them are pretty much stuck in another century.
There a still people who think it is OK to go and kill endangered species in the name of sport so I think it will be a long time(if ever) before they'll want to simulate hunting.

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:45 pm

It's the blood-lust thing, isn't it. Wouldn't count unless something beautiful was killed :(