R S P B

All your bird talk in here
Placido

R S P B

Post by Placido » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:13 pm

Googled but can't find it - heard on't radio today that the RSPB's breakdown of how their donations are channelled is causing a little bit of a controversy.
I think they say that 90% goes into frontline services but "someone (?)" is challenging that.

I'm sure one of you will find the article online .......

nuthatch

Re: R S P B

Post by nuthatch » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:07 am

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:59 pm

:clap: Thank you, Nuthatch. Had a feeeeeeling it would be you who found it :nod: !!

Tricky one, this - moral dilemma and vested interests all rolled into one.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:10 pm

When you have as much cash at your disposal as the RSPB it behoves them to be thoroughly open and honest about how they spend it. They appear to have gone on the offensive becoming much more political than in times gone by. But if you're hoping to get cooperation from landowners and farmers the last thing you should be doing is rubbing them up the wrong way and briefing against them. Your new enemies will soon start looking for way to put the skids under your argument.
The RSPB does huge amounts of good on behalf of birds but they are heading into dangerous waters trying to bully people rather than cajole. They could do a lot worse than adopt the attitude of the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust(whom I support) who never go anywhere without involving the local people and involving them at every level to make sure everyone knows their aim and the likely benefits that will arise.

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:16 pm

It's quite true, Jacksparrow. Not only the RSPB - there seems to be something of a backlash recently against the big charities per se. Loadsa money gradually accumulated turns great ideas into big businesses with all that that implies.

I reckon that the smaller wildlife charities (birds/hedgies/red squirrels/name it) cumulatively do more good pound for pound.

Placido

Post by Placido » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:43 pm

Knew this had happened but didn't realise the massive scale - prog. today about the untold millions (! :nod:) of birds killed during the Victorian and Edwardian eras to put onto women's big hats - entire birds not merely feathers. Not only here but in USA too.
The slaughter was huge and endangered many species. Eventually led, of course, to the RSPB, firstly the SPB.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:44 pm

Placido wrote:Knew this had happened but didn't realise the massive scale - prog. today about the untold millions (! :nod:) of birds killed during the Victorian and Edwardian eras to put onto women's big hats - entire birds not merely feathers. Not only here but in USA too.
The slaughter was huge and endangered many species. Eventually led, of course, to the RSPB, firstly the SPB.
I don't think it ever occurred to the fashionistas in those days that feathers were a finite resource. In today's fashion world styles and trends come and go with the seasons but back then it was much slower affair which probably accounts for the long term slaughter of birds just to adorn the big hats.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:06 am

A feather in their cap for the SPB ... err ... :rolleyes:

Biker

Post by Biker » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:48 pm

Gawd. An article in the Daily Fail AND a complaint from a famous man who organises shooting birds for sport???????? I'd rather believe the RSPB!!!!