All your bird talk in here
greenfinch2

Re: BIRD FEEDING

Post by greenfinch2 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:07 pm

:laugh: :laugh: :clap: Will do. :wave2:

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:30 pm

So fed up of the ferals eating everything I put out (there were 14 on the neighbouring roof the other day) that I've resurrected the old ground feeding cage and installed it yesterday on the birds' feeding place - maybe it'll deter Black Tom too :) .
Watched sneakily from the kitchen window for the first visitor :magnify:. Didn't take 2 minutes >>> :squirrel:. Oh gaaawwwd banghead :hissyfit:.

On the bright side, Bobbin was in there first thing this morning :clap:.

Placido

Post by Placido » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:43 pm

On Friday I ordered my usual 3kg of insect suet pellets from this new firm I found on Ebay. Email this morning telling me that it would arrive between 10.49 and 11.49; checked time, 1105, and the doorbell rang.
Chap about 60 (the wiry, fast-moving, glad-to-have-a-job type) cried, "Delivery. No signature needed." Thrust the package into my arms with the comment, "Heavy", and was gone.

It was funny, I suppose, but actually I felt heart-sorry for the guy. He seemed to be trying to prove something.
It just felt sad.
I hope he wins the Lottery ....... :shrug:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:34 pm

Placido wrote:On Friday I ordered my usual 3kg of insect suet pellets from this new firm I found on Ebay. Email this morning telling me that it would arrive between 10.49 and 11.49; checked time, 1105, and the doorbell rang.
Chap about 60 (the wiry, fast-moving, glad-to-have-a-job type) cried, "Delivery. No signature needed." Thrust the package into my arms with the comment, "Heavy", and was gone.

It was funny, I suppose, but actually I felt heart-sorry for the guy. He seemed to be trying to prove something.
It just felt sad.
I hope he wins the Lottery ....... :shrug:
A delivery driver often has a big number of "drops" to do during his daily round. Firstly he was relieved to find someone home to take the delivery and secondly his brain was already working as to what might crop up on the next drop. They work under big pressure. :nod:

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:32 am

Yes, I agree. It's a thankless job.
He was ahead of his time-slot ending so maybe he was having A Good Day. Hope so.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue May 09, 2017 8:06 pm

Bird food consumption seems to have moved up a gear with the hanging feeders needing a top up twice daily. I have two Jackdaws that are scoffing the fat balls like there is no tomorrow. The ever resourceful Blackbirds have found out that the area surrounding the floor bird bath is wet enough to dig for worms. They have been so successful they have undermined it and I've had to shift it around to avoid them making potholes.

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed May 10, 2017 7:36 pm

I copy :rolleyes:. They're requiring lots and lots right now but no undermining is occurring.

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:33 am

I suddenly recalled yesterday that (was it on the Chris Packham 'What's in your Lawn' prog last week?) we Brits feed wild birds much more than any other nation.
We should get a meggle - but the rest of the world needs to buck up :wife:!!!

I think the whole 'Feed 'Em' thing stemmed from the *Garden Bird company in Wem, Shropshire, maybe in the '80's and snowballed into a national phenomenon from there.

*Yes, I know :rolleyes:.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:25 pm

I now can't remember when I started feeding the birds properly. Certainly a good while before it became trendy. I have always done it because I enjoy having the birds around even if most of the time it is the usual suspects. The added joy is when something out of the ordinary appears out of the blue. :nod:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:34 pm

It certainly has been going on for a very long time. Kitchen scraps were thrown out for the birds donkeys years ago. I remember hanging out a half coconut on the washing line for the birds in winter as that was the only time could get them. And hang out the fat from bacon, peanuts with the kernels threaded on strong cotton and hung out. Those were the days. Now it has grown into an industry.