BIRD FEEDING

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Re: BIRD FEEDING

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:00 pm

johnd83 wrote:That's ok. The suet is separate . I have gardman seed and suet.
Is it the seed that is being ignored? A good seed mix although seemingly more expensive are in the long run better value because none is wasted. What you need to assess is whether the birds you have visiting are seed eaters. The main customers for mine are my Sparrows and occasionally the Starlings all the others are more than happy with the sunflower hearts.
I suggest you run a trial for a while. If you feel a seed feeder is essential buy small amounts of other good quality mixes( no cereals, or other fillers like dried peas) and see what goes down best. Get yourself some sunflower hearts(kernels) and put them in a separate feeder and see if there are any takers. At no stage have I ever had to throw away any SFHs. We have often been asked is there a food that Starlings won't eat. For unknown reasons they are not at all keen on SFHs. I have seen them on the feeder but they don't stay. :shrug:

johnd83

Post by johnd83 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:41 pm

Good afternoon Jacksparrow,

I have been neglecting my wildlife and this fourm recently which is a real shame. One a plus note i am back for good. I have cleaned out the birdbath and all the feeders and replaced them with fresh nuts and seed mix. I need to pick up some more suet. I will more than likely go back to seed & mealworm mix. I seem to be gitting robins and great tits and it is very much the seed mix they are going for. I do appoligse for not being around or active on the forum but i plan to put that right from now on.

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:44 pm

Local shop STILL out of sun flower hearts. Just ordered on the internet and looks like working out cheaper (p & p free). Not as convenient as buying locally though but needs must.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:30 pm

If anyone is on the lookout for some cheap fat balls look no further than your local Pound Stretcher(if you have one). Currently they're offering 50 un-netted for £3.99 or if your feeling strong(to carry the box) there is a deal for 150 for £9.99. I cannot vouch for the quality of the goods but I generally find my birds aren't that fussy.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:13 pm

Plenty for everybody.

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:52 am

Like your picture. :photo: :wave2:

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:14 pm

New Bird Table.jpg

Just got a new bird table. Here it is!!!!

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:27 pm

Nice bird table hope it is a lucky one. :blackbird: :feedbirds:

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:55 pm

:woohoo: 'citing :rara:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:28 pm

For reasons I can't fathom every year for a short period the Sparrows get very wasteful with the seed in the hanging feeders. We have now reached that time of year. As fast as I top up the feeders they're there in a trice chucking out loads of seed while they search for their particular favourites.
It is said that it's an ill wind that doesn't benefit someone and the someones in this case are the feral pigeons but even they can't cope with all the Sparrows waste :(