BIRD FEEDING

All your bird talk in here
Placido

Re: BIRD FEEDING

Post by Placido » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:27 am

Never have Problem (a) because I never put seed in hanging feeders, I always sprinkle it on the ground, thus: :feedbirds:. This egalitarian habit leads inevitably to Problem (b) and I'm saving up for a catapult with an electronic tracker sight which will hopefully fix said problem shortly and sharply.
At present I find that a flapping towel meets with only limited and temporary success :(.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:35 pm

Placido wrote:Never have Problem (a) because I never put seed in hanging feeders, I always sprinkle it on the ground, thus: :feedbirds:. This egalitarian habit leads inevitably to Problem (b) and I'm saving up for a catapult with an electronic tracker sight which will hopefully fix said problem shortly and sharply.
At present I find that a flapping towel meets with only limited and temporary success :(.
I have always used hanging feeders for seed for a couple of reasons. Firstly the feeders are well clear of any ground predators and the larger birds with big appetites and likely to bully the smaller birds are excluded to a large extent. Problem (b) is only a problem if too many turn up at one time but at present the numbers are somewhat lower than in the past.
After giving some thought to the seed wasting conundrum I have decided they(the Sparrows) have plenty of other food at present so they feel it is OK to go for the sweetmeats and leave the remainder. Between now and the end of October we are in a time of plenty for the birds natural food so I will cut down on the amount I put out in the feeders and let them garner the natural stuff. :nod:

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:44 pm

I know, I know, but I've a soft spot for blackbirds, robins, dunnocks, sparrows and the very occasional thrush :shrug:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:37 pm

I don't know if it's the hot weather or the disappointment with the Test result but the birds are suddenly not coming for the food. Usually I put out sultanas at 9 am and by 11 they are gone. Today hardly any have been taken. Same with fat balls and only the SF hearts feeder seeing any real activity.

Placido

Post by Placido » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:49 pm

Have seen no diminution in my feathery numbers but then most of them hail from Lahore ........
(They all had a barby today and burned a bail :rolleyes:)

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:06 am

:laugh: :laugh: :rofl:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:33 pm

It appears to be the Blackbirds that have gone flyabout mainly. I have seen most of the others today though the Sparrows are also down on the usual numbers. :(

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:43 pm

Must be the heat. Not getting many birds here at the moment. Although the live mealworms I put out at 0530 all gets ate.

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:25 pm

Two Blackbirds on the dyke for sultanas sparrows and sturks no coloured garden birds at all ,

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:55 pm

I'm feeding the birds but the number of takers has dropped dramatically over the last week. I haven't seen a Blackbird all week and even the Sparrows have cut back on their visits. I suppose this is how it will be until late October now. :(