BIRD FEEDING

All your bird talk in here
Willpar

Re: BIRD FEEDING

Post by Willpar » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:19 pm

Nuthatch, I have been watching two bluetits coming in to feed on the flutter butter. First time I have seen any birds on it since I put it out again. No starlings on it though.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:10 pm

That's good, Willpar :yes:

I've seen some little birds going to it but can't see it very well from the windows with the tree foliage in the way.

The mice still leave plenty of calling cards in the jar so I don't know who's eating most of the butter :mouse:

greg

Post by greg » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:44 pm

I'm expecting this to arrive later this week........................

http://www.notcutts.co.uk/notcutts-delu ... duct/16435

I'm hoping it will keep some of the larger birds away. - They have their own table down the garden and I have Crows Jays Magpies and Pigeons on it every day, but the Pigeons will often try their luck on the other feeders.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:13 pm

It looks an interesting piece of kit and look forward to hearing how well it works. :)

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:16 pm

That's a new departure on the old theme of using weight to trigger a locking out mechanism.
I've got one which the squirrels didn't take long to circumvent - it works by means of the squirrel's weight on the actual perch (there are 2) closing the aperture. They soon found that if they hung upside down from the roof and didn't touch the actual perch then they could put in a paw and remove a handful of seed.

&*$?+** varmints banghead :grumpy: :wife:

Your new one seems to be a better system, Greg.

greg

Post by greg » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:30 pm

I'll let you know how it performs, when it arrives ! :)

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:25 pm

I fondly imagine that somewhere there is a laboratory where the squirrel proof feeders etc are tested. They have captive squirrels and the latest inventions are put in front of them and white coated onlookers record the strength or weakness of the latest invention. The only downside I can see is that if the captive squirrel is the equivalent of the village idiot then a passed all the tests winning design falls flat on it face when it comes up against Einstein squirrel in the wild. Yes I do have better things to worry about but they can be kicked into the long grass from time to time. :)

Placido

Post by Placido » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:05 pm

You are spot on, Cap'n, and I can prove it :nod: . I have Einstein the squirrel in my very garden so it must be true. She defeats the most cunning plan with consummate ease and if I could catch her I would ship her First Class to the Squirrel-Proof Feeders Testing Laboratory (the S-PFTL as it is called) in order that the white-coated ones may eventually devise an absolutely rock-solid, guaranteed feeder.

Honest Placi (Patents) Inc. is involved in this but I'm afraid it's First Catch Your Squirrel ....... :shrug: :unsure:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:53 pm

Placido wrote:You are spot on, Cap'n, and I can prove it :nod: . I have Einstein the squirrel in my very garden so it must be true. She defeats the most cunning plan with consummate ease and if I could catch her I would ship her First Class to the Squirrel-Proof Feeders Testing Laboratory (the S-PFTL as it is called) in order that the white-coated ones may eventually devise an absolutely rock-solid, guaranteed feeder.

Honest Placi (Patents) Inc. is involved in this but I'm afraid it's First Catch Your Squirrel ....... :shrug: :unsure:
If you can't get the squirrel to the lab then take the lab to the squirrel. How big is the research budget for Honest Placi (patents) Inc.?

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:17 pm

How big is the budget ?!?!?!?!
Damn' cheek - that's for the shareholders to know and for you to .......
However, I'll calm down if you want a copy of the shares spec., the Business Plan, and the (un)certified accounts. This could be the best move you've ever made.