BIRD FEEDING

All your bird talk in here
Placido

Re: BIRD FEEDING

Post by Placido » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:44 pm

'Course they will, 'course they will :rolleyes:.
By Boxing Day you'll be posting proud pix of dozens of various species of the genus Aves taken with your new prezz from Santa and we'll all be bored silly by NYE.

In the meantime, lure 'em in with some mince pies - never fails.

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:59 am

Local shop has run out of sunflower hearts for over a week, so a decline in Goldies.

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:01 pm

Having said that, about 15 just arrived. WOW!!!!

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:27 pm

peregrine wrote:Local shop has run out of sunflower hearts for over a week, so a decline in Goldies.
Neglect of the highest order :rolleyes: :( . I hope you've passed their name and address to Trading Standards :no:

johnd83

Post by johnd83 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:00 pm

Greetings all.,

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and hope you all the best for 2016. I need some serious help regarding my garden bird feeding station. T have binned everything on there as it was going mouldy. Is there special food for the winter period what they would prefer?

John

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:52 pm

What were you offering the birds didn't want? Also which birds are you currently seeing in your garden? From what other forum members has written over the years there is no "one size fits all" magic formula.
I try to keep my offer simple and the same year round. One feeder of Sunflower hearts, two feeders of a good quality mixed seed(I have a lot of Sparrows) a Fatball feeder and a Nyger seed feeder. I put sultanas on the bird table plus assorted leftover bread and scraps. The ground feeders seem happy with what falls from the table and feeders.
The nyger seed feeder is currently under used and is the only one which I am likely to have feed going rotten. I haven't had peanuts for ages as they always ended up going rotten.

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:42 pm

Recently bought a pack of peanuts which I bash into beak-sized pieces and am currently strewing them around in a festive manner. All my mob are going crazy for them.
Also I put out a little saucerful of porage oats mixed with a dessertspoonful of water and given 10 secs in the microwave. That pushes the peanuts off centre-stage !! :)

The run of the mill fodder is more or less as Jacksparrow has mentioned less the nyger and the s'tanas, bread and scraps.

johnd83

Post by johnd83 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:32 am

At the moment. I have the normal wild bird mix nd wild berry suiet. In the garden I am going great tits and robins. oh and pigeons.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:31 am

johnd83 wrote:At the moment. I have the normal wild bird mix nd wild berry suiet. In the garden I am going great tits and robins. oh and pigeons.
OK, so which of those is being left to go rotten? Do you put the suet in with the seed? Oh, and whose Seed mix do you use?
PS sorry about all the questions but I'm trying to visualise your situation before coming to a possible solution. :)

johnd83

Post by johnd83 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:02 pm

That's ok. The suet is separate . I have gardman seed and suet.