BIRD FEEDING

All your bird talk in here
Butterfly

Re: BIRD FEEDING

Post by Butterfly » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:25 am

That seems to be the same with my birds :nod: . I was starting to get worried, so I was happy to see that all the food has vanished by the time I got back from work :D

Kev
Site Admin

Post by Kev » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:34 am

Same here. My feeders have been very quiet while the sun was out. I guess it's easier for them to find active caterpillars, daddy long legs and the like. But when it cools down they're more likely to come looking for the birdy equivalent of a McDonalds drive through! :)

I've got a nice little family of 4 fledgeling blueys that come and visit together. Taking quite a while to get their adult colours. I thought they might have come through by now. I was wondering if they were a second brood but reading around it seems it's too much effort for them to have another set so they must just be a bit slow getting their colour.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:28 pm

Kev wrote:Same here. My feeders have been very quiet while the sun was out. I guess it's easier for them to find active caterpillars, daddy long legs and the like. But when it cools down they're more likely to come looking for the birdy equivalent of a McDonalds drive through! :)

I've got a nice little family of 4 fledgeling blueys that come and visit together. Taking quite a while to get their adult colours. I thought they might have come through by now. I was wondering if they were a second brood but reading around it seems it's too much effort for them to have another set so they must just be a bit slow getting their colour.
Blue tits are single brooders. Their nesting has to coincide with the boom in caterpillar numbers in the spring. Any later and it's likely to fail.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:44 pm

Today was a very quiet day in my garden and around the feeders. Birds had breakfast ( and I suspect a squirrel too, she/he left me a present :wife: ) but after that, almost all day till late afternoon, not a single bird around! Not even pigeons. Its odd hearing the silence :bolt:

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:32 pm

Found this by accident: www.happybeaks.co.uk 'cos I had to order more insect suet pellets. Have ordered from them (delivery is promised to be very quick) so we'll see ...... :)

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:53 pm

Good prices there feeders are nae bad as well mine have blown off the tree and 2 broken. :shrug:

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:13 pm

Suet pellets arrived at 1030 this morning (tick).
Packaging was somewhat excessive (cross) so I've told them that. Maybe they'd just run out of smaller boxes :unsure: .......

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:36 pm

Had a email reply from Happy Beaks - so, if you order anything from them, expect it in a cardboard box 18 inches x 22 inches. My bag of suet pellets, 8 inches x 14 inches, was kept nice and snug by means of 34 feet of paper a foot wide.
They put everything into that sized box :shrug:.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:49 pm

Placido wrote:Had a email reply from Happy Beaks - so, if you order anything from them, expect it in a cardboard box 18 inches x 22 inches. My bag of suet pellets, 8 inches x 14 inches, was kept nice and snug by means of 34 feet of paper a foot wide.
They put everything into that sized box :shrug:.
It should pad your recycling bin out nicely. :nod:

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:36 am

Exactly, Jacksparrow. The space is half full now with cardboard and paper courtesy of Happy Beaks.

The pellets are good though: unanimous feathery verdict. All raised their wings to vote in favour :wave2:.