BIRD FEEDING

All your bird talk in here
Placido

Re: BIRD FEEDING

Post by Placido » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:03 am

Hit of the season hereabouts are the suet cakes in little suet-cake-shaped cages (so you can hang them up outside a window). Cheap as chips on eBay.
You might even get an excited mob of LTTs, Kev !! :nod:
But I agree that feathery appetites are not so keen as in cold spells and I understand there's another hot spell on its way :sunny: :rolleyes:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:15 pm

Mine are getting through quite a few fatballs. But I get the more expensive ones. Have suet cake also, plus peanut butter for birds, that is well received. Plus the usuall pellets mealworms and sultanas. Plus seeds.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:48 pm

For a good many years I have only used one make of seed mix in my hanging feeders Johnson & Jeff Premium with Suet It is by no means the cheapest but free of all the cereals that these mixes are bulked out with. However, on opening my latest bag I find the mix has changed. Black Sunflower seed has largely replaced the huskless stuff and a certain amount of cereal has been introduced :( I was not a happy bunny :grumpy: :rabbit: There was no drop in price for the obvious reduction of quality. :shake:
But here is the oddest thing,it appears my birds like it better than the original. At the end of the day they are the best judges I suppose. :shrug:

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:47 am

Excitement 002.JPG
Much excitement yesterday - red Royal Mail van pulls up, bell rings. Pleasant young gentleman carefully hands me this box, right way up, bearing the legend "Live plants" :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!
Somebody loves moi :hug2: :grouphug: :rara:
Carefully carried said box indoors, still the right way up. Opened very carefully - 1 kg of sunflower hearts :faint: :sadbanana: :chuckle: :laugh:

Bird food company must be heavily into recycling.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:14 pm

Placido wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:47 am
Excitement 002.JPG

Much excitement yesterday - red Royal Mail van pulls up, bell rings. Pleasant young gentleman carefully hands me this box, right way up, bearing the legend "Live plants" :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!
Somebody loves moi :hug2: :grouphug: :rara:
Carefully carried said box indoors, still the right way up. Opened very carefully - 1 kg of sunflower hearts :faint: :sadbanana: :chuckle: :laugh:

Bird food company must be heavily into recycling.
Only 1 kg :unsure: when are they sending the rest?

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:19 am

You're right, Jacksparrow. Thing is, at the moment none of my little charges can see further than the suet cakes which festoon the silver birch so to prevent the s. hearts from going stale I only ordered 1 kg this time.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:36 pm

Placido wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:19 am
You're right, Jacksparrow. Thing is, at the moment none of my little charges can see further than the suet cakes which festoon the silver birch so to prevent the s. hearts from going stale I only ordered 1 kg this time.
I see :) I'm a little concerned for their cholesterol levels. They need a little more fibre in their diets :nod:

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:06 am

I'll see whether I can find a coconut. Thank you for the advice.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:26 pm

The birds in my garden have returned to their normal feeding habits now Caira and Dennis have bid us farewell. :feedbirds: :nod:

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:09 am

:clap: :clap: Good news !! The birds can teach us a thing or two.