WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:39 pm

For the last week or so I have had a woodie looking a little sickly wandering about the garden. It's plumage is not the usual tidy you expect from a woodie plus it plods around slowly not quite as aware as normal. It does feed a little and it can still fly. This afternoon the Sparrowhawk paid a visit and aimed it's attack at the woodie. It pulled up sharply when the size if it's intended target became evident and they stood close together briefly until the Sprawk spotted me. I then shouted and it departed as did the pigeon I suspect without knowing how close it came to curtains.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:33 pm

One lucky woody.

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:24 am

Wow, a close encounter with a sprawk ! Have never seen that before. Great spot, Jacksparrow :nod:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:19 pm

In the midst of the downpour my sparrows held a noisy family meeting in the thick ivy on the back fence. They did pop down occasionally for a quick beakful of food but their was no social distancing in evidence.

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:02 am

They're like that, sparrows. No thought for anyone else. Bit like brand-new university students :eek: :rolleyes: - and then the chickens come home to roost.
WELL !! Who would have thought it ?!?!?!?

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:20 pm

Just now, in the half-dark, a wood pigeon landed in the very top of my biggest pyrawotsit which is groaning with bright berries, and began to eat .......
It looks as though it's very satisfied with the fare and intends to be there for quite a while !

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:47 am

Its more what I heard than what I saw .... I got woken up at dawn by a bunch of magpies and crows having a massive argument in the tree right near my window :rolleyes: . I wish I knew what it was about because it sure was very heated :eek:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:02 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:47 am
Its more what I heard than what I saw .... I got woken up at dawn by a bunch of magpies and crows having a massive argument in the tree right near my window :rolleyes: . I wish I knew what it was about because it sure was very heated :eek:
It is usually territorial matters. The magpies like to think they rule the roost and will bully all the small birds to enforce the idea. Along come the crows showing no respect whatsoever.... :fence: :hissyfit: :smash:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:58 pm

I was doing a few autumnal tidying up jobs in the back garden today when there was a mighty kerfuffle coming from the dog rose. It was not dissimilar to when woodies have their little disagreement but this time it was accompanied by the distressed noises of a Blackbird. I looked up just in time to see a Sparrowhawk departing empty clawed . The blackie clearly survived to fight another day. :) :blackbird:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:02 pm

One lucky blackbird jacksparrow.