WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Postby Kev » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:31 pm

Stumbled across this on youtube.
interesting how it plays dead at one point

User avatar
Kev
Site Admin
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 10:27 am
Location: Oxford

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Postby Jacksparrow » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:41 pm

A Greenfinch rocked up today :) . No great rarity but the first I seen for over a month. I hope it is the first of many in the forthcoming winter as I've been getting a little concerned over their absence.
User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
 
Posts: 2978
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Postby greenfinch2 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:49 pm

This cold spell has brought them and Goldfinches back all healthy so far about a dozen every day .
greenfinch2
 
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:22 pm

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Postby Butterfly » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:51 am

I saw these two, what I think are robin juveniles, hanging around this morning, while my resident robin is keeping a close watch :grumpy: , he keeps chasing them off after a while.
And then I saw this very little bird, half robin's size, which I've never seen before, could it possibly be a wren I wonder :scratch:
User avatar
Butterfly
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:45 am

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Postby Jacksparrow » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:34 pm

Butterfly wrote:I saw these two, what I think are robin juveniles, hanging around this morning, while my resident robin is keeping a close watch :grumpy: , he keeps chasing them off after a while.
And then I saw this very little bird, half robin's size, which I've never seen before, could it possibly be a wren I wonder :scratch:

Difficult to say :pictures:
User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
 
Posts: 2978
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Postby Butterfly » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:09 pm

They are very quick and moving all the time, very difficult to get a picture, but I will try and get them next time :)
User avatar
Butterfly
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:45 am

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Postby Butterfly » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:39 pm

I saw one pigeon landing on the feeder tray and trying to peck a starling who was there already, to knock him off! I can not tell you how angry that made me! I've seen it before pecking other pigeons, its clearly of aggressive nature, but never starlings. On top of that, another problem is their numbers (pigeons) have increased dramatically, and now there is a flock of at least 20 of them all over my garden, which drives me absolutely mad. I don't know what to do to get rid of them :( . I spent all afternoon getting out in the garden and shooing them away, but that scares other birds too :(
User avatar
Butterfly
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:45 am

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Postby Willpar » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:10 pm

Hard to get rid of feral pigeons butterfly. Only thing I can suggest is to get a feeder with a guardian, that's a cage on the outside. Can get them for hanging. But that would exclude starlings as well. But you could still keep one of your feeders for them.
Willpar
 
Posts: 2136
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 5:24 pm

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Postby Jacksparrow » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:35 pm

Butterfly wrote:I saw one pigeon landing on the feeder tray and trying to peck a starling who was there already, to knock him off! I can not tell you how angry that made me! I've seen it before pecking other pigeons, its clearly of aggressive nature, but never starlings. On top of that, another problem is their numbers (pigeons) have increased dramatically, and now there is a flock of at least 20 of them all over my garden, which drives me absolutely mad. I don't know what to do to get rid of them :( . I spent all afternoon getting out in the garden and shooing them away, but that scares other birds too :(

Having been over burdened with feral pigeons for ages I find that if I concentrate on keeping them off the feeders it saves a lot of energy. They are easily scared just by waving a dish cloth at the window rather than emerging into the garden. The other birds will fly to shelter but not as far as the ferals who will go for a fly around the block. In the meantime the other birds will return as they did not see what caused the alarm. You may have to repeat a few times but they will get the message. There is no chance you'll keep them off the ground so be selective on what war you choose to fight. :wife:
User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
 
Posts: 2978
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Postby Butterfly » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:31 pm

Willpar wrote:But that would exclude starlings as well. But you could still keep one of your feeders for them.

Thats exactly the problem Willpar, I love my starlings and I don't want to exclude them. I have one ground feeder with guardian but that's away from the feeding station, and its used by my resident robin :D , and sometimes a squirrel :wife: , and I could get more to cover the feeders for starlings but I don't know if they would use it?
I think they wouldn't have problems getting in, just not sure if they would want to :unsure:

Jacksparrow wrote: They are easily scared just by waving a dish cloth at the window rather than emerging into the garden.

The pigeons that visit my garden don't even move when I emerge, they just sit there and look at me. I can wave as much as I like ( and I tried, with various objects) but until I actually get really close (I thought few times I will catch with my hands some of them!) they don't move :weep:

I put few spikes deterrents around the feeder where they tend to go just tonight, I have them on garden fence and I know they avoid them (starlings just go in between them :rofl: ) , so I will see tomorrow if that has any effect.

Still contemplating getting another guardian .... :scratch:

And in all this, I feel so sorry for my poor doves who are effected :(
User avatar
Butterfly
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:45 am

PreviousNext

Return to Birds

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests