WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
greenfinch2

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by greenfinch2 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:38 pm

I saw the first of the Geese arrive today ,maybe a week early .

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:58 am

:wave2: Re Greenfinch's post above - the Scottish Wildlife Trust has tweeted (or whatever :rolleyes:) that the first Pink-footed Geese have arrived from Iceland. Unfortunately, and unforgivably, they neglected to say whether this was late, early or normal.
I think we should be told !!

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:02 pm

Placido wrote::wave2: Re Greenfinch's post above - the Scottish Wildlife Trust has tweeted (or whatever :rolleyes:) that the first Pink-footed Geese have arrived from Iceland. Unfortunately, and unforgivably, they neglected to say whether this was late, early or normal.
I think we should be told !!
I don't know specifically but it is my opinion that it is a little early but the winds have recently been coming from the north or northwest so it may have speeded up their migration.
PS A few years ago I was in north Norfolk at the beginning of October where they host a good number of Pinkies during the winter months and they had just started to arrive.

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:12 am

Your valuable input does not surprise me, Jacksparrow. I would reckon that the 'Pinkies' :D are early 'cos I believe that autumn began on 1st August this year :cold2:.
My 'pet' :shake: robin has been back for a week now (very very early) and the overnight temp. here was a fraction short of 50F at 9 am toady !!
The grey squirrels are already squirrelling sunflower hearts away in the craterous mess which used to be my back lawn and I've put a rad on.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:59 pm

Placido wrote:Your valuable input does not surprise me, Jacksparrow. I would reckon that the 'Pinkies' :D are early 'cos I believe that autumn began on 1st August this year :cold2:.
My 'pet' :shake: robin has been back for a week now (very very early) and the overnight temp. here was a fraction short of 50F at 9 am toady !!
The grey squirrels are already squirrelling sunflower hearts away in the craterous mess which used to be my back lawn and I've put a rad on.
It had definitely turned a little nippy. Mrs JS has been complaining for days :cold2:

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:40 pm

:cold2: Goldfinch,Bluetits, Sparrows,Sturks,and my Robin , :wave2:

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:32 pm

Busy morning with more Geese crossing over on there way to the Loch.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:08 pm

A fledgling Woodie :)
A Greenfinch showing signs of Tricho :(

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:19 pm

Bad luck on the greenfinch, Jacksparrow. Very sad.

I'm seeing stuff now from time to time - maybe the winter friends are congregating. I'm sure I can hear the rattle of spoons in empty bowls ........
toady, 2 blackbirds of opposite persuasions, a very bright robin, a coal tit :yes:, and a dunnock.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:03 pm

Placido wrote:Bad luck on the greenfinch, Jacksparrow. Very sad.

I'm seeing stuff now from time to time - maybe the winter friends are congregating. I'm sure I can hear the rattle of spoons in empty bowls ........
toady, 2 blackbirds of opposite persuasions, a very bright robin, a coal tit :yes:, and a dunnock.
Saw the Greenfinch again toady :(
I too caught sight of a Coal Tit but no sign of the Blackies just yet :blackbird: :blackbird: :shake: