WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:00 pm

We are past the normal nesting season except for some members of the pigeon family so I expect the nest has passed it's use by date. The recent windy spell probably dislodged it and the quality of the build helped it survive the trip from tree top to ground.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:31 pm

I didn't realise pigeons/doves use the nest only once. It would make sense though, they are so rubbish at nest building :laugh:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:26 pm

Some of the starlings, the smaller ones and that are still in the process of getting their adult fethers are looking quite funny now, their head is still pale colour, but the dark feathers are appearing on the back, so they look like they are sporting mohican hair do's , bless :laugh:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:13 pm

My starling numbers have dropped for a while. Only putting out food in the morning. And not all that gets ate.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:57 pm

Willpar wrote:My starling numbers have dropped for a while. Only putting out food in the morning. And not all that gets ate.
I'm sure they are all in my garden, there is lots of them here :D
Seriously though, why do you think that is Willpar? :)

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:01 pm

I am never quite sure Butterfly. I know it can happen during moulting, but my numbers have dropped for the past couple of years. I live near the countryside, that is where I take my videos on the walks I do. There are plenty of berries around at the moment, be it blackberries or tree berries. Have never seen starlings eat them. Palm berries yes. But even with last winters cold and snow, I hardly had a starling. Then all of a sudden near springtime they came back. Some winters in the past with migratory ones thrown in I could have got fifty or more.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:13 pm

Willpar wrote:I am never quite sure Butterfly. I know it can happen during moulting, but my numbers have dropped for the past couple of years. I live near the countryside, that is where I take my videos on the walks I do. There are plenty of berries around at the moment, be it blackberries or tree berries. Have never seen starlings eat them. Palm berries yes. But even with last winters cold and snow, I hardly had a starling. Then all of a sudden near springtime they came back. Some winters in the past with migratory ones thrown in I could have got fifty or more.
I am wondering if it is this time of year the Starlings start gathering in flocks and start doing the aerobatic training ready for the murmurations we all enjoy in the winter. That was slightly tongue in cheek but I do think they enjoy each others company and may be getting ready for the rigours of winter.

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:22 pm

Just herd some geese come over ,thats about a week early ,and plenty Sturks gatherin on the roof tops I dont know where they go .

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:59 pm

I saw 2 doves chasing a magpie. I suspect that doves have a nest in nearby tree and are chasing a magpie away from it, but its so depressing to see that, because they can chase 1 magpie off but the next thing you know there is a bunch of them attacking :weep:

And you are right greenfinch2, Sturks are gathering on roof tops and behaving a bit odd, like flying around busily :flying: . I think you were right as well Jacksparrow, they might be doing the aerobatic training and building endurance :nod: . They definitely look like they are up to something :hyper:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:54 am

went out with some bird food this morning, looked up and there were two birds I thought were playing around up in the sky. Turned out is was a magpie mobbing a bird of prey. Could have been a sparrow hawk but not positive about that. Good wo watch though.