WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue May 19, 2020 8:09 pm

A Sparrow fledgling(the first this year) plus adult Sparrows carrying nesting materials and mating.(not at the same time :) )

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed May 20, 2020 8:15 am

I've been expecting the arrival of baby sparrows but none have surfaced yet.
Jacksparrow has a First !

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed May 20, 2020 6:42 pm

Have had baby sparrows here placi. Been watching them from the kitchen window. Parents going into the caged feeders taking food for their brood. Also have had an explosion of baby starlings. I do worry about them as they go to ground so are easy meat for cats.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu May 21, 2020 8:31 pm

I have two male Blackbirds who think they are boss of the garden but only one definitely is. He has been with me a for a couple of years so we know one another fairly well. Today however he really surprised me when he caught a Newt out of the pond and then started shaking it about by the tail trying to knock the life out of it. :eek: I intervened at that stage and returned the rather stunned but still alive newt to it's rightful habitat. Mr Blackbird was soon back to the last place he'd had the newt looking to continue the kill. I know we are told not to interfere with nature and let it take it's course but I think this time he'd bitten off more than he could chew. :nod:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri May 29, 2020 7:24 pm

I was absolutely delighted to see a bunch of coal tits on my feeder today :D . I suspect that the little ones have fledged :clap: , and been introduced to the eatery. The parents were very vocal, and the whole place was full of life and action, with that many small ones flying all over the place :love:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri May 29, 2020 7:52 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 7:24 pm
I was absolutely delighted to see a bunch of coal tits on my feeder today :D . I suspect that the little ones have fledged :clap: , and been introduced to the eatery. The parents were very vocal, and the whole place was full of life and action, with that many small ones flying all over the place :love:
This time of the year is great with all the youngsters fledging and visiting for the first time. :nod:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:25 am

I saw a nuthatch on my suet feeder today, its the first time ever I see it in my garden :D . Lovely little bird :love:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:30 pm

That's great butterfly. Never seen one in my garden. Even though there is a wood nearby.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:55 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:25 am
I saw a nuthatch on my suet feeder today, its the first time ever I see it in my garden :D . Lovely little bird :love:
A good spot. I have only ever seen one in my garden. I have never worked out what was so special about that day. :shrug:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:16 pm

The pair of magpies that have been an almost continuous presence for the last few weeks presented the fruit of their labours. Magpie junior turned up this morning and has been sat in the Rowan tree most of the day. Mum and Dad have visited from time to time emitting a loud succession of the cackles that pass for Magpie chatter.