WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:31 pm

There was very little bird activity today other than my Sparrows held a family gathering in the ivy. their twittering was drowning out the howling wind quite effectively. The Collared Doves decided that trying to fly was too tiring so they sat for long periods of time alongside the sunflower hearts feeder.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:35 pm

Same here jacksparrow. My sparrows stayed n the hedge all day, venturing out to the fatballs to have a feed.

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:41 am

Puzzled.
Didn't notice any difference in visits or feeding patterns :unsure:. Maybe they know beforehand where the weather is going to be the trickiest. It was OK here.

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:20 am

The blackthorn is out :clap: :tampoline:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:10 pm

The feral pigeons have been diving me crackers this afternoon :grumpy: . I've had ferals visiting for years and mostly they have been well behaved. The current crowd includes one who cannot resist trying to feed from the hanging feeders. Not only does it eat lots of seed in a small period of time but it denies smaller the birds the opportunity. I'd been working in the garden until 3 o'clock so when I came indoors they soon descended including laddo who was quickly onto the SF seed feeder. I immediately shooed them off only to watch them fly around the block and quickly return :( This happened a total of TEN times before they finally got the hint and went elsewhere :prod:
On the one hand I admire their determination but there must be other gardens worth a visit so why me?

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:41 am

Feral pigeons haven't found me yet in my new place, and I hope they never do, which is unlikely :rolleyes: , but I had them in my previous place and I know how they can drive you mad :grumpy: , so I sympathise Jack :nod: but I always used to remind myself that they might be a nuisance sometimes, but they are not the threat to any other creature, and birds know that :nod: . They might be disrupted but they find a way around them :nod:
Here I just get woddies :D . Watched 2 of them on the fence today, flirting, feeding each other, dancing for each other, being tactile and all lovey-dovey and than they proceeded to have sex on the fence :faint: . Shameless! :laugh:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:03 pm

The male Blackcap I thought I saw last week was here again. For certain this time. :nod: Also two magpies over-flying carrying twigs which must be destined for a nest somewhere.

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:49 am

A confirmed blackcap :banana: :yes:.
Haven't seen 'my' magpies prospecting for nests yet, but it's only time ........

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:49 pm

Today was one of those days when you feel so lucky to catch a good action in your garden :) . I saw 3 dunnocks interacting which was so interesting to watch, than came my robin, Mr Pavarotti, while 2 couples of woodies were trying to establish their pecking order, than there was a female and male blackbird enjoying some suet from half coconut, when all of a sudden, while I was so immersed in all of the nice activity, I hear the blackbird warning call :eek: , him and all of other birds frantically depart/seek cover, and I thought omg it must be a cat! I opened the door to see it and the sparrowhawk flew away! :eek: Luckily there was no casualties, but oh my, it discovered my garden :(

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:53 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:49 pm
Today was one of those days when you feel so lucky to catch a good action in your garden :) . I saw 3 dunnocks interacting which was so interesting to watch, than came my robin, Mr Pavarotti, while 2 couples of woodies were trying to establish their pecking order, than there was a female and male blackbird enjoying some suet from half coconut, when all of a sudden, while I was so immersed in all of the nice activity, I hear the blackbird warning call :eek: , him and all of other birds frantically depart/seek cover, and I thought omg it must be a cat! I opened the door to see it and the sparrowhawk flew away! :eek: Luckily there was no casualties, but oh my, it discovered my garden :(
Chances are that the Sprawk was aware of you garden but perhaps unaware of how well stocked with potential targets it has become. I'll only say "they have good memories" :nod: