WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
Butterfly

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by Butterfly » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:42 pm

While shopping yesterday, I heard a tiny squeaks coming from the arch of an alleyway. I looked up and there they were, 2 squabs in their nest with parents feeding them :faint: . I couldn't believe the sight, so odd to see that while its snowing :snow: , and I really felt for the little ones. They were just a bit smaller than parents, so not small enough to be under the parent and not big enough to be properly protected from the cold :( . Its snowing even more heavy today and I keep thinking about them, poor little souls, I hope they make it!

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:12 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:42 pm
While shopping yesterday, I heard a tiny squeaks coming from the arch of an alleyway. I looked up and there they were, 2 squabs in their nest with parents feeding them :faint: . I couldn't believe the sight, so odd to see that while its snowing :snow: , and I really felt for the little ones. They were just a bit smaller than parents, so not small enough to be under the parent and not big enough to be properly protected from the cold :( . Its snowing even more heavy today and I keep thinking about them, poor little souls, I hope they make it!
Pigeons breed all year round regardless of the risk. If a pair only have one clutch it is a big decision to abandon or fail but by continually breeding they will succeed more often than fail. The squabs sound as though they have passed the point where their parents have to brood them so I wouldn't be too concerned. Woodies are a very hardy species.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:21 pm

Jacksparrow wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:12 pm
Butterfly wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:42 pm
Pigeons breed all year round regardless of the risk. If a pair only have one clutch it is a big decision to abandon or fail but by continually breeding they will succeed more often than fail. The squabs sound as though they have passed the point where their parents have to brood them so I wouldn't be too concerned. Woodies are a very hardy species.
Thanks Jack, you are right, those squabs will probably be fine, just very cold :snow: . There are reason why pigeons are extremely successful birds, one of which is their prolific breeding :nod: . Still, I thought they take a break at least during the cold winter months, like December to March :cold2:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:50 pm

There was a mistle trush feeding in my garden today, such a lovely bird :love:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:04 pm

That was a good visitor to have butterfly. Not seen one in ages.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:53 pm

I had a brief visit from my Wren today. First time this year I've seen it.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:18 pm

Today a very recently fledged Woodie joined my gang of diners. Still very wobbly when perched.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:26 pm

Jacksparrow wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:18 pm
Today a very recently fledged Woodie joined my gang of diners. Still very wobbly when perched.
Awww so cute at that stage :love: , so goofy and eager to learn from the others :)

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:53 pm

Good spot jacksparrow. Not seen any in a while now.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:18 pm

I had 2 blackbirds, 3 collared doves, 1 dunnock, 1 starling and 2 blue tits eating in my garden today, all at the same time! :D